The World/Inferno Friendship Society is not a rock band. It is not a punk band. It's not even a ska band. It defies classification. Formed in the mid-90s in Brooklyn, New York, the group consists of about nine members playing guitar, piano, accordion, clarinet, horns, and a variety of percussion. Certainly not least of all is the voice of the frontman, Jack Terricloth, a boisterous, slight, pale man of smooth moves and smoother demeanor, capable of whipping a small, crowded room of sweaty miscreants into a gyrating, swirling mass of followers. Other members include: Franz Nicolai, the mustachioed accordion player who is often blamed for the band's mischief; Lucky Strano, the tattooed guitarist garbed in tatters, contrasting with the formal look of the rest of the band; Yula Beeri, the cute bassist.

The music they create is rich and full. Though most of their songs don't reach the three minute mark, they're still quite satisfying. The lyrics contain much symbolism and obscure references such as The Katzenjammer Kids.

The W/IFS are almost constantly touring the east coast of the USA or Europe. They will often play at college campuses and are usually opening acts. Most often, they come to the stage pretty well sloshed and only leave the stage more-so. The performance they give is one of the highest energy shows you could ever hope to see.


Yes, the music:
This is not an exhaustive discography, but rather a list of their major releases. For information regarding the rest, check out their home page at http://www.worldinferno.com

The True Story of the Bridgewater Astral League

  1. A Night in the Woods
  2. The Evil Dance of Nosliw Pilf
  3. Incendiarism
  4. Lust for Timing
  5. Millicent Didn't Want to Wait for It to Get Better
  6. One for the Witches
  7. Tarot Americaine
  8. Joe Tennis Redeemed
After three EP releases, the band solidifies in 1997 with their first album on CD. Recorded at Keap Street Studios; released on the Gern Blandsten label.

East Coast Supersound Punk of Today!

  1. Tattoos Fade
  2. The Models and the Mannequins
  3. Glamour Ghouls
  4. Our Candidate
  5. All of California and Everyone Who Lives There Stinks
  6. Jeffrey Lee
  7. Pumpkin Time
  8. Ich Errinere Mich An Weimar (I Remember the Weimar)
A collection of the first four singles, released in 2000.

Just the Best Party

  1. Zen and the Art of Breaking Everything in this Room
  2. My Ancestral Homeland, New Jersey
  3. Heart Attack '64
  4. Secret Service Freedom Fighting U.S.A.
  5. Friend to the Friendless
  6. Peter Lorre
  7. I Wouldn't Want to Live in a World Without Grudges
  8. Just the Best Party
  9. Go With It Girl
  10. The Naughty Little Rat Makes New Friends
  11. Stay On the Charming Side of Drunk
  12. All the World is a Stave (Dive)
Released in 2002, recorded at Vibromonk Studios, this is the most epic release by the W/IFS and contains their most favored songs. Interestingly enough, the album as a whole tells the story of a massive party with songs pertaining to typical party-going archtypes: the angry drunk, the sad drunk, the mischievous young kid, the sultry woman. However, this is not a concept album, so any of these songs can and will be enjoyed on their own.

The World/Inferno Friendship Society is a fantastic musical ensemble that is original and enduring. A few songs can be downloaded directly from their home page. I suggest anyone and everyone to at least sample their work. If they're performing anywhere near you, go see them. Chat with them after the show. They might even offer you a drink.


Sources:

  • http://www.worldinferno.com
  • http://www.allmusic.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.