Z-Rock Hawaii was a joint music effort headed up by Ween's Dean and Gene, and Japan's own burping psychos the Boredoms. They released only one hilarious and experimental self-titled album back in 1996 and have not discussed whether or not they plan on making more.

The style of music created is a little on the difficult to describe side of things for it varies from track to track. At times the record eminates a sort of violence akin to something you would find in some early punk but maintains an unpredictability not heard since the days of krautrock.

Their rendition of George Thorogood's Bad to the Bone is a cover that makes the listener think, "Why did they cover this?!" as they giggle. At one point the album seems to be like some straight up lounge music and all seems quiet on the western front until you listen closer and notice how profane the lyrics are. Not to mention the screaming vocals in the background that come in.

At no point does this album ever sound conventional or "normal". This much is expected if one is familiar with its creators' past musical endeavors. The end result of Z-Rock Hawaii is an on the edge band making on the edge music. It stands as being some of the most bizarre music created in the past decade.

The track list:

  1. Chuggin'
  2. Bad to the Bone
  3. In the Garden
  4. Love Like Cement
  5. Tuchus
  6. Piledriver
  7. I Get a Little Taste of You
  8. God in My Bed
  9. Meadow
  10. Sunset Over Osaka

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.