Loss of courage in a crisis.

- american underworld lingo - 1950

Got a touch of the ague? Don't do any of this from the 1800s. No, seriously, don't. Just don't. Really as this statement has not been evaluated by the FDA.

Persons afflicted with the ague ought in the first instance to take an emetic, and a little opening medicine. During the shaking fits, drink plenty of warm gruel, and afterwards take some powder of bark steeped in red wine. Or mix thirty grains of snake root, forty of wormwood, and half an ounce of Jesuit's bark powdered, in half a pint of port wine: put the whole into a bottle, and shake it well together. Take one fourth part first in the morning, and another at bed time, when the fit is over, and let the dose be often repeated, to prevent a return of the complaint. If this should not succeed, mix a quarter of an ounce each of finely powdered Peruvian bark, grains of paradise, and long pepper, in a quarter of a pound of treacle. Take a third part of it as soon as the cold fit begins, and wash it down with a glass of brandy. As the cold fit goes off, and the fever approaches, take a second third part, with the like quantity of brandy; and on the following morning fasting, swallow the remainder, with the same quantity of brandy as before. Three doses of this excellent electuary have cured hundreds of persons, and seldom been known to fail. To children under nine years of age, only half the above quantity must be given. Try also the following experiment. When the cold fit is on, take an egg beaten up in a glass of brandy, and go to bed directly. This very simple recipe has proved successful in a number of instances, where more celebrated preparations have failed. (sic)

Everything2 medical disclaimer.


Source (excerpted from):
The Cook and Housekeeper's Complete and Universal Dictionary; Including a System of Modern Cookery, in all its Various Branches,
Adapted to the Use of Private Families: also a Variety of Original and Valuable information
by Mrs. Mary Eaton 1823



iron noder

A"gue (#), n. [OE. agu, ague, OF. agu, F. aigu, sharp, OF. fem. ague, LL. (febris) acuta, a sharp, acute fever, fr. L. acutus sharp. See Acute.]

1.

An acute fever.

[Obs.] "Brenning agues."

P. Plowman.

2. Med.

An intermittent fever, attended by alternate cold and hot fits.

3.

The cold fit or rigor of the intermittent fever; as, fever and ague.

4.

A chill, or state of shaking, as with cold.

Dryden.

Ague cake, an enlargement of the spleen produced by ague. -- Ague drop, a solution of the arsenite of potassa used for ague. -- Ague fit, a fit of the ague. Shak. -- Ague spell, a spell or charm against ague. Gay. -- Ague tree, the sassafras, -- sometimes so called from the use of its root formerly, in cases of ague. [Obs.]

 

© Webster 1913.


A"gue, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Agued (#).]

To strike with an ague, or with a cold fit.

Heywood.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.