Any of a number of animals in the family bovidae (order artiodactyla, class mammalia), including the duiker, the impala, the kudu the oryx, the royal antelope, the roan antelope, the hartebeest, and the sable antelope. Also sometimes refers the pronghorn antelope, which is a member of the family Antilocapridae

Habitat: Plains. Most antelopes are found in Africa, others (except for the pronghorn in North America) are Eurasian.

Lifestyle: Grazer/Browsers. Antelopes are built for speed and endurance, and survive by running from predators.

Distinguishing Features: Sleek body construction; even toed hooves; males (and sometimes also females) possess curved, hollow horns of varying length.

An"te*lope (#), n. [OF. antelop, F. antilope, fro Gr. , , Eustathius, "Hexaem.," p. 36, the origin of which is unknown.] Zool.

One of a group of ruminant quadrupeds, intermediate between the deer and the goat. The horns are usually annulated, or ringed. There are many species in Africa and Asia.

The antelope and wolf both fierce and fell. Spenser.

⇒ The common or bezoar antelope of India is Antilope bezoartica. The chamois of the Alps, the gazelle, the addax, and the eland are other species. See Gazelle. The pronghorn antelope (Antilocapra Americana) is found in the Rocky Mountains. See Pronghorn.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.