A scientist who studies human beings. Archaeologists, physical anthropologists, and cultural anthropologists are all subsets.

Today, many anthropologists, especially of the cultural variety, are postmodernists.

Scientists > Anthropologists

Anthropologists On E2

This is the Anthropologists Metanode, an index of writeups about anthropologists (including: anthropologists, archaeologists, cultural anthropologists, ethnographers, ethnologists, linguists, physical anthropologists, primatologists, social anthropologists, etc.) on E2. This is a subnode of the top-level Scientists node, and is a collaborative effort by the usergroup E2science. To suggest additions or alterations, please /msg anthropod or E2_Science.


*: Just a nodeshell at the moment!


Listed chronologically, by year of birth (where known)

Actually, I beg to differ with the notion that most anthropologists these days are postmodernists; some are, granted, but it's sort of a joke in my neck of the woods to call a fellow anthropologue a postmodernist (or 'pomo'). Yes, many of the ideas inherent to postmodernism have been integrated into contemporary anthropological thought, but the current trend in anthropology, at least in my department, is a sort of revived political economy. We do have some that still call themselves functionalists and whatnot, however, but you find diversity in views in all departments. It keeps us on our toes, and keeps the debates lively.

Note: this applies to the anthropology department of the University of South Florida; your mileage may vary, depending on whatever intellectual tradition is prevalent in your particular university. However, it is my experience that most newly-minted anthropologists and anthropology grad students chortle at postmodernism, and not only in my university. Don't taze me, bro.

An`thro*pol"o*gist (#), n.

One who is versed in anthropology.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.