In Warhammer 40,000, "Apothecary" is the title given to the Space Marine whose job it is to treat the wounded and collect the geneseed from his fallen brothers. They are fully fledged members of the Space Marine Chapter and actively participate in combat. They frequently wear white Power Armor and carry fewer weapons but they get other things to balance that out.

As far as gameplay is concerned, their stats are usually close to the generic Space Marine but, they have some special wargear and abilities that make them a valuable member of the team.

In game terms, this means that the normal apothecary can do two very useful things. The first is that any squad they are attatched to can neglect the first failed armor save, meaning the hit model is not removed from play. The second is their ability to remove the geneseed, which allows the player to get victory points for fallen soldiers. While this may not sound like a big deal, at the end of the day it is the VPs that are used to determine victory.

They also made an appearance in SSI's computer game Chaos Gate, where they even get to carry bolt pistols. When a weapon finally broke through a soldier's armor, he could occasionally be heard to shout, "Apothecary! I am wounded!"

Twisting writhing futility
Boxed steel cube
Barred and imprisoned
Impassioned
Impossible
Mind
Abstract self loathing
I whisper a promise
Looking upward
Outward
Inward
The only one who hears the voice
Is I
Apothecary of my destiny
Choking on the poison
A happy dagger in her hand
A tragic love story
Weaving a mosaic in my head
Spilling prophecy off my tongue
Self fulfilled and pathetic
Earmarked by hope
Disgraces
And confidence
You carry your heavy burden
With smiles and laughter
To strong to be dragged down
My feet betray my path
Go forward
Go forward
Go forward

A*poth"e*ca*ry (#), n.; pl. Apothecaries. [OE. apotecarie, fr. LL. apothecarius, fr. L. apotheca storehouse, Gr. apo, fr. to put away; from + to put: cf. F. apothicaire, OF. apotecaire. See Thesis.]

One who prepares and sells drugs or compounds for medicinal purposes.

⇒ In England an apothecary is one of a privileged class of practitioners -- a kind of sub-physician. The surgeon apothecary is the ordinary family medical attendant. One who sells drugs and makes up prescriptions is now commonly called in England a druggist or a pharmaceutical chemist.

Apothecaries' weight, the system of weights by which medical prescriptions were formerly compounded. The pound and ounce are the same as in Troy weight; they differ only in the manner of subdivision. The ounce is divided into 8 drams, 24 scruples, 480 grains. See Troy weight.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.