A boom is a heavy(usually 50+ pound) stand with an upright length of 4" pipe embedded or screwed into it. It is used to hold lights, which usually are on sidearms.

Go back to theatre lighting terminology.

Euphemism for romping. First noticed on the pages of Jane magazine. Connotations of sex as had by female twentysomethings; lusty, fulfilling, and exciting yet somehow bereft of emotional baggage. The sort of sex that angsty 19 year olds wish for in their next relationship...after they get rid of the doofus thrash metal drummer who's been boinking them stupid for the last two months.

A part of a sailing vessel to which the the bottom of the sail is attached. The boom is attached horizontally to the mast and holds the sail allowing the wind to fill it.
Often consists mainly of one straight piece of wood/metal/plastic. A boom on a windsurfer has two sides and is a tear-drop shape.

Boom (boom), n. [D. boom tree, pole, beam, bar. See Beam.]

1. Naut.

A long pole or spar, run out for the purpose of extending the bottom of a particular sail; as, the jib boom, the studding-sail boom, etc.

2. Mech.

A long spar or beam, projecting from the mast of a derrick, from the outer end of which the body to be lifted is suspended.

3.

A pole with a conspicuous top, set up to mark the channel in a river or harbor.

[Obs.]

4. Mil. & Naval

A strong chain cable, or line of spars bound together, extended across a river or the mouth of a harbor, to obstruct navigation or passage.

5. Lumbering

A line of connected floating timbers stretched across a river, or inclosing an area of water, to keep saw logs, etc., from floating away.

Boom iron, one of the iron rings on the yards through which the studding-sail booms traverse. -- The booms, that space on the upper deck of a ship between the foremast and mainmast, where the boats, spare spars, etc., are stowed.

Totten.

 

© Webster 1913.


Boom (b&oomac;m), v. t. Naut.

To extend, or push, with a boom or pole; as, to boom out a sail; to boom off a boat.

 

© Webster 1913.


Boom (b&oomac;m), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Boomed (#), p. pr. & vb. n. Booming.] [Of imitative origin; cf. OE. bommen to hum, D. bommen to drum, sound as an empty barrel, also W. bwmp a hollow sound; aderyn y bwmp, the bird of the hollow sound, i. e., the bittern. Cf. Bum, Bump, v. i., Bomb, v. i.]

1.

To cry with a hollow note; to make a hollow sound, as the bittern, and some insects.

At eve the beetle boometh Athwart the thicket lone. Tennyson.

2.

To make a hollow sound, as of waves or cannon.

Alarm guns booming through the night air. W. Irving.

3.

To rush with violence and noise, as a ship under a press of sail, before a free wind.

She comes booming down before it. Totten.

4.

To have a rapid growth in market value or in popular favor; to go on rushingly.

 

© Webster 1913.


Boom, n.

1.

A hollow roar, as of waves or cannon; also, the hollow cry of the bittern; a booming.

2.

A strong and extensive advance, with more or less noisy excitement; -- applied colloquially or humorously to market prices, the demand for stocks or commodities and to political chances of aspirants to office; as, a boom in the stock market; a boom in coffee.

[Colloq. U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Boom, v. t.

To cause to advance rapidly in price; as, to boom railroad or mining shares; to create a "boom" for; as to boom Mr. C. for senator.

[Colloq. U. S.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.