"The album cover has been in the back of my mind for two years. There is a feel to it. Holding the cover and listening to the album is perfect." - Bono, just after Boy's release.

Boy is the title of U2's debut album. The songs were written when the band members were teens and so the themes of the album reflect the raw emotion of most teenage lives: confusion, love, anger, misplacement and acceptance. The album is highly energetic, insightful and emotional, but I have to admit that the lyrics are not the album's strongest feature. The band at this point has yet to reach the maturity they will eventually attain by the time they release The Joshua Tree six years later. The album was released by Island Records Inc in October of 1980, and the album's producer was Steve Lillywhite. U2 recorded this album at Windmill Lane Studios in Dublin.

Boy's song list

  1. I will Follow
  2. Twilight
  3. Into the Heart
  4. Out of Control
  5. Stories for Boys
  6. The Ocean
  7. A Day Without Me
  8. Another Time, Another Place
  9. The Electric Co.
  10. Shadows and Tall Trees

The highest chart position for this album was number 52.
Reference
Into the Heart, Niall Stokes

Boy (&?;), n. [Cf. D. boef, Fries. boi, boy; akin to G. bube, Icel. bofi rouge.]

A male child, from birth to the age of puberty; a lad; hence, a son.

My only boy fell by the side of great Dundee.
Sir W. Scott.

Boy is often used as a term of comradeship, as in college, or in the army or navy. In the plural used colloquially of members of an associaton, fraternity, or party.

Boy bishop, a boy (usually a chorister) elected bishop, in old Christian sports, and invested with robes and other insignia. He practiced a kind of mimicry of the ceremonies in which the bishop usually officiated. --
The Old Boy, the Devil. [Slang] --
Yellow boys, guineas. [Slang, Eng.] --
Boy's love, a popular English name of Southernwood (Artemisia abrotonum); -- called also lad's love. --
Boy's play, childish amusements; anything trifling.

 

© Webster 1913


Boy, v. t.

To act as a boy; -- in allusion to the former practice of boys acting women's parts on the stage.

I shall see
Some squeaking Cleopatra boy my greatness.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Boy, n.

In various countries, a male servant, laborer, or slave of a native or inferior race; also, any man of such a race.

He reverted again and again to the labor difficulty, and spoke of importing boys from Capetown.
Frances Macnab.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.