When you turn a bowl of marijuana in a pipe from fine, raw green to ash and resin, you cash the bowl. A cashed bowl is done with and should be dumped out, as all the THC has been extracted.

Cash, from Malay kasi, is the traditional English name for a Chinese coin - the kind that is round with a hole in the middle through which it can be strung. One cash is one coin, usually one copper coin unless otherwise specified. Strung cash were traditionally stored and spent in units of fifty or a hundred cash. The traditional Chinese word was simply qian2 in Mandarin.

The name cash is unfortunate, because it looks and sounds the same as the unrelated English word for "ready money". And oddly the modern Chinese word qian2 now means "money" in general, not coin. Thus both the Mandarin and English names for this thing now sound as if they mean money in general.

A number of traditional English words for Chinese things originate in Malay - evidently they date from Captain Cook's time.

Cash (?), n. [F. caisse case, box, cash box, cash. See Case a box.]

A place where money is kept, or where it is deposited and paid out; a money box.

[Obs.]

This bank is properly a general cash, where every man lodges his money. Sir W. Temple.

�x9c;20,000 are known to be in her cash. Sir R. Winwood.

2. Com. (a)

Ready money; especially, coin or specie; but also applied to bank notes, drafts, bonds, or any paper easily convertible into money

. (b)

Immediate or prompt payment in current funds; as, to sell goods for cash; to make a reduction in price for cash.

Cash account Bookkeeping, an account of money received, disbursed, and on hand. -- Cash boy, in large retail stores, a messenger who carries the money received by the salesman from customers to a cashier, and returns the proper change. [Colloq.] -- Cash credit, an account with a bank by which a person or house, having given security for repayment, draws at pleasure upon the bank to the extent of an amount agreed upon; -- called also bank credit and cash account. -- Cash sales, sales made for ready, money, in distinction from those on which credit is given; stocks sold, to be delivered on the day of transaction. <-- cash on the nail. A cash payment made immediately upon receiving the thing purchased. -->

Syn. -- Money; coin; specie; currency; capital.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cash, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Cashed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Casing.]

To pay, or to receive, cash for; to exchange for money; as, cash a note or an order.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cash, v. t. [See Cashier.]

To disband.

[Obs.]

Garges.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cash, n.sing & pl.

A Chinese coin.

⇒ The cash (Chinese tsien) is the only current coin made by the chinese government. It is a thin circular disk of a very base alloy of copper, with a square hole in the center. 1,000 to 1,400 cash are equivalent to a dollar.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.