Cha*grin" (?), n. [F., fr. chagrin shagreen, a particular kind of rough and grained leather; also a rough fishskin used for graters and files; hence (Fig.), a gnawing, corroding grief. See Shagreen.]

Vexation; mortification.

I must own that I felt rather vexation and chagrin than hope and satisfaction. Richard Porson.

Hear me, and touch Belinda with chagrin. Pope.

Syn. -- Vexation; mortification; peevishness; fretfulness; disgust; disquiet. Chagrin, Vexation, Mortification. These words agree in the general sense of pain produced by untoward circumstances. Vexation is a feeling of disquietude or irritating uneasiness from numerous causes, such as losses, disappointments, etc. Mortification is a stronger word, and denotes that keen sense of pain which results fron wounded pride or humiliating occurrences. Chagrin is literally the cutting pain produced by the friction of Shagreen leather; in its figurative sense, it varies in meaning, denoting in its lower degrees simply a state of vexation, and its higher degrees the keenest sense of mortification.

"Vexation arises chiefly fron our wishes and views being crossed: mortification, from our self-importance being hurt; chagrin, from a mixture of the two." Crabb.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cha*grin", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Chagrined (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Chargrining.] [Cf. F. chagriner See Chagrin, n.]

To excite ill-humor in; to vex; to mortify; as, he was not a little chagrined.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cha*grin", v. i.

To be vexed or annoyed.

Fielding.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cha*grin", a.

Chagrined.

Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.