chain = C = channel hopping

channel n.

[IRC] The basic unit of discussion on IRC. Once one joins a channel, everything one types is read by others on that channel. Channels are named with strings that begin with a `#' sign and can have topic descriptions (which are generally irrelevant to the actual subject of discussion). Some notable channels are #initgame, #hottub, callahans, and #report. At times of international crisis, #report has hundreds of members, some of whom take turns listening to various news services and typing in summaries of the news, or in some cases, giving first-hand accounts of the action (e.g., Scud missile attacks in Tel Aviv during the Gulf War in 1991).

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Chan"nel (?), n. [OE. chanel, canel, OF. chanel, F. chenel, fr. L. canalis. See Canal.]

1.

The hollow bed where a stream of water runs or may run.

2.

The deeper part of a river, harbor, strait, etc., where the main current flows, or which affords the best and safest passage for vessels.

3. Geog.

A strait, or narrow sea, between two portions of lands; as, the British Channel.

4.

That through which anything passes; means of passing, conveying, or transmitting; as, the news was conveyed to us by different channels.

The veins are converging channels. Dalton.

At best, he is but a channel to convey to the National assembly such matter as may import that body to know. Burke.

5.

A gutter; a groove, as in a fluted column.

6. pl. [Cf. Chain wales.] Naut.

Flat ledges of heavy plank bolted edgewise to the outside of a vessel, to increase the spread of the shrouds and carry them clear of the bulwarks.

Channel bar, Channel iron Arch., an iron bar or beam having a section resembling a flat gutter or channel. -- Channel bill Zool., a very large Australian cucko (Scythrops Novaehollandiae. -- Channel goose. Zool. See Gannet.

 

© Webster 1913.


Chan"nel, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Channeled (?), or Channelled; p. pr. & vb. n. Channeling, or Channelling.]

1.

To form a channel in; to cut or wear a channel or channels in; to groove.

No more shall trenching war channel her fields. Shak.

2.

To course through or over, as in a channel.

Cowper.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.