Crawl is the title of Ulcer's third release, their second on CD. It was released in 1995.

Track listing:

  1. Primal II (8:53)
  2. Freak (5:51)
  3. But I Don't Want That (4:55)
  4. You Don't Want Me In Your Head (Loni, Larissa mix) (6:53)
  5. Control Over Me (6:07)
  6. Crawl (6:18)
  7. From Their Pedestal (5:56)
  8. Be Yourself (4:45)
  9. White Trash (5:31)
  10. Daddy (this is not a dream remix) (7:10)
  11. Primal I (10:03)

Total run time: 72:22

This album is probably the favorite for many fans. For a start, it plain sounds better than the previous releases do. On top of that, it has some of their most aggressive work to date, and more experimentation.

For aggression, "Crawl" and "White Trash" beat us all to a pulp the first time we ever heard them. This version does justice to the live shows, and they still rock my world. "From Their Pedestal" turns Mike's fury on the hypocrisy of holier-than-thou types, shoving their blindness in their face. The fact that they'd never stoop to listening to this music is irrelevant.

Two of these songs are significant, because they're the last songs that directly show Owen's early influence on Mike: "From Their Pedestal" and "Be Yourself" rank up with "A Rhythm and a Hum" (from their self-titled release) for this connection. Mike credits Owen with helping him decide to do music in the first place, so I feel a bit of a debt to Owen for that.

The experimental songs are the bookends of this collection: "Primal II" and "Primal I". These songs reflect an almost tribal trance-like feel; the only other song of theirs that comes close is the hidden track on their early conversion release. The best reaction was from a friend of mine: "that's music to fuck to!".

Crawl (kr?l), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Crawled (kr?ld); p. pr. & vb. n. Crawling.] [Dan. kravle, or Icel. krafla, to paw, scrabble with the hands; akin to Sw. krla to crawl; cf. LG. krabbeln, D. krabbelen to scratch.]

1.

To move slowly by drawing the body along the ground, as a worm; to move slowly on hands and kness; to creep.

A worm finds what it searches after only by feeling, as it crawls from one thing to another. Grew.

2.

Hence, to move or advance in a feeble, slow, or timorous manner.

He was hardly able to crawl about the room. Arbuthnot.

The meanest thing that crawl'd beneath my eyes. Byron.

3.

To advance slowly and furtively; to insinuate one's self; to advance or gain influence by servile or obsequious conduct.

Secretly crawling up the battered walls. Knolles.

Hath crawled into the favor of the king. Shak.

Absurd opinions crawl about the world. South.

4.

To have a sensation as of insect creeping over the body; as, the flesh crawls. See Creep, v. i. ,7.

 

© Webster 1913.


Crawl (kr?l), n.

The act or motion of crawling;low motion, as of a creeping animal.

 

© Webster 1913.


Crawl, n. [Cf. Kraal.]

A pen or inclosure of stakes and hurdles on the seacoast, for holding fish.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.