In engineering terms, usually a method of propulsion or motive power. When discussing a vehicle, it's customary to describe it as 'driven' by something. For example, a submarine may be steam turbine driven, electric driven, or diesel driven (among others). It might also be referred to has 'having an electric drive', although in this use, 'drive' is usually short for 'drive system.' Powerboats may be described as 'jet drive' if they rely on a waterjet for propulsion.

Vehicles aren't the only things with drives. Sewing machines, for example, may be electric drive or manual (muscle). Plows may be muscle-driven, as might a cart, say.

One consequence of describing vehicles by their drive type is that science fiction is replete with examples of drives both fictional, factual and some which have started to cross over from one to the other. e.g.:

...etc.

(in reference to the Incubus song of this name)

I love this song. It's morose and somber without being depressing or annoying, and the lyrics are great.

The most vivid image that it conjures up for me, one that will likely live on with me for the rest of my life, was coming home from school on the afternoon of September 11, 2001. Having witnessed the carnage on the TVs at school, I now sat in my basement flipping through the channels on cable to observe how each station altered its normal schedule to pay respect to the victims of the attacks. MTV, as it would turn out, had suspended it's usual afternoon suckfest to just play videos and run the text message at the bottom of the screen "We are deeply saddened and shocked by the recent events in New York and Washington. Please support the American Red Cross at 1-800-GIVE-LIFE" or something similar. And, they were playing the video for Drive. It seemed so fitting, at the time, too.

Drive (drIv), v. t. [imp. Drove (drOv), formerly Drave (drAv); p. p. Driven (driv'n); p. pr. & vb. n. Driving.] [AS. drIfan; akin to OS. drIban, D. drijven, OHG. trIban, G. treiben, Icel. drIfa, Goth. dreiban. Cf. Drift, Drove.]

1.

To impel or urge onward by force in a direction away from one, or along before one; to push forward; to compel to move on; to communicate motion to; as, to drive cattle; to drive a nail; smoke drives persons from a room.

A storm came on and drove them into Pylos.
Jowett (Thucyd. ).

Shield pressed on shield, and man drove man along.
Pope.

Go drive the deer and drag the finny prey.
Pope.

2.

To urge on and direct the motions of, as the beasts which draw a vehicle, or the vehicle borne by them; hence, also, to take in a carriage; to convey in a vehicle drawn by beasts; as, to drive a pair of horses or a stage; to drive a person to his own door.

How . . . proud he was to drive such a brother!
Thackeray.

3.

To urge, impel, or hurry forward; to force; to constrain; to urge, press, or bring to a point or state; as, to drive a person by necessity, by persuasion, by force of circumstances, by argument, and the like. " Enough to drive one mad." Tennyson.

He, driven to dismount, threatened, if I did not do the like, to do as much for my horse as fortune had done for his.
Sir P. Sidney.

4.

To carry or; to keep in motion; to conduct; to prosecute. [Now used only colloquially.] Bacon.

The trade of life can not be driven without partners.
Collier.

5.

To clear, by forcing away what is contained.

To drive the country, force the swains away.
Dryden.

6. (Mining)

To dig Horizontally; to cut a horizontal gallery or tunnel. Tomlinson.

7.

To pass away; -- said of time. [Obs.] Chaucer.

Drive, in all its senses, implies forcible or violent action. It is the reverse of to lead. To drive a body is to move it by applying a force behind; to lead is to cause to move by applying the force before, or in front. It takes a variety of meanings, according to the objects by which it is followed; as, to drive an engine, to direct and regulate its motions; to drive logs, to keep them in the current of a river and direct them in their course; to drive feathers or down, to place them in a machine, which, by a current of air, drives off the lightest to one end, and collects them by themselves. "My thrice-driven bed of down." Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Drive, v. i.

1.

To rush and press with violence; to move furiously.

Fierce Boreas drove against his flying sails.
Dryden.

Under cover of the night and a driving tempest.
Prescott.

Time driveth onward fast,
And in a little while our lips are dumb.
Tennyson.

2.

To be forced along; to be impelled; to be moved by any physical force or agent; to be driven.

The hull drives on, though mast and sail be torn.
Byron.

The chaise drives to Mr. Draper's chambers.
Thackeray.

3.

To go by carriage; to pass in a carriage; to proceed by directing or urging on a vehicle or the animals that draw it; as, the coachman drove to my door.

4.

To press forward; to aim, or tend, to a point; to make an effort; to strive; -- usually with at.

Let them therefore declare what carnal or secular interest he drove at.
South.

5.

To distrain for rent. [Obs.]

To let drive, to aim a blow; to strike with force; to attack. "Four rogues in buckram let drive at me." Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Drive (drIv), p. p.

Driven. [Obs.] Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913


Drive (drIv), n.

1.

The act of driving; a trip or an excursion in a carriage, as for exercise or pleasure; -- distinguished from a ride taken on horseback.

2.

A place suitable or agreeable for driving; a road prepared for driving.

3.

Violent or rapid motion; a rushing onward or away; esp., a forced or hurried dispatch of business.

The Murdstonian drive in business.
M. Arnold.

4.

In type founding and forging, an impression or matrix, formed by a punch drift.

5.

A collection of objects that are driven; a mass of logs to be floated down a river. [Colloq.]

Syn. -- See Ride.

 

© Webster 1913


Drive, v. i. (Golf)

To make a drive, or stroke from the tee.

 

© Webster 1913


Drive, v. t.

Specif., in various games, as tennis, baseball, etc., to propel (the ball) swiftly by a direct stroke or forcible throw.

 

© Webster 1913


Drive, n.

1.

In various games, as tennis, cricket, etc., the act of player who drives the ball; the stroke or blow; the flight of the ball, etc., so driven.

2. (Golf)

A stroke from the tee, generally a full shot made with a driver; also, the distance covered by such a stroke.

6.

An implement used for driving; as:

(a)

A mallet.

(b)

A tamping iron.

(c)

A cooper's hammer for driving on barrel hoops.

(d)

A wooden- headed golf club with a long shaft, for playing the longest strokes.
[Webster 1913 Suppl.]

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.