Elbow is a slang term for a qp or quarter pound of marijuana. I don't know if this is a particularly common term, since for the most part I know few enough people who are used to handling marijuana in quantities this size often enough to use a special term for it.

I also don't know the origin of the term.

You burn too bright
You live too fast
This can't go on too long...

...You're a Tragedy starting to happen...

-"Red"

Elbow:

Brit pop band from Manchester. As far as i know, they have published one record so far, entitled Asleep in the Back. They have two EPs as well, meant to be complimentary to each other, titled Any Day Now and Newborn. Their music is very airy and ethereal, with undertones of urgency and, at times, ranging from feelings like desperation, obsession, and dementia to blind love and admiration. I've listened to the record several times and it seems to me to be a story of falling in/out of infatuation and love with the same person, though i could be wrong.

Now that i've made them sound rather scary, let me assure you that they are an absolutely amazing band definitely worth taking a look at. They've been compared to Radiohead's OK Computer days, a comparison which works as far as their song structure and complexity goes. They, however, describe themselves differently:

"...began to evolve a new sound, wherein driving organ, star-kissed guitars, Guy's fallen-angel vocals and tough grooves were merged into (sometimes eight-minute long!) songs. Songs that owe as much to 60's folk and prog-rockers King Crimson - "We've described ourselves as prog-rock with no solos," offers Guy, unapologetically - as they do the quicksilver melodic rock of The Stone Roses, or funk influences like Sly Stone." (quoted from www.elbow.co.uk)

The band Consists of Guy Garvey, who writes all the bands' songs as well as does lead and backing vocals, plays the guitar along with various other instruments ranging from the analog synthesizer to wine glasses. Mark Potter does Acoustic and Electric Guitars, as well as Backing Vocals. Craig Potter plays Piano, Organ, does backing vocals and a range of other various instruments. Pete Turner plays the Bass guitar for the band and Richard Jupp is the drummer.

If you're interested in a full and extensive bio, there's a completely in-depth one on the band's website, www.Elbow.co.uk.

If you're interested in checking them out for yourself, find a way to go out an listen to their bigger singles, "Red" and "Newborn," as well as "Coming Second" and "Powder Blue." This should give you a pretty good idea of the Band's range and depth.

In basketball jargon, the "elbow" is the point on both sides of the court where the free throw line meets the edge of the key.

The term "elbow" is typically used to describe a spot where a player receives an entry pass. The "elbow" compares to the "post," which is also along the edge of the key but much closer to the basket, and the "wing," which is a spot on either side of the court where the invisible line created by extending the free throw line meets the three point line.

El"bow (?), n. [AS. elboga, elnboga (akin to D. elleboga, OHG. elinbogo, G. ellbogen, ellenbogen, Icel. lnbogi; prop.; arm-bend); eln ell (orig., forearm) + boga a bending. See 1st Ell, and 4th Bow.]

1.

The joint or bend of the arm; the outer curve in the middle of the arm when bent.

Her arms to the elbows naked. R. of Gloucester.

2.

Any turn or bend like that of the elbow, in a wall, building, and the like; a sudden turn in a line of coast or course of a river; also, an angular or jointed part of any structure, as the raised arm of a chair or sofa, or a short pipe fitting, turning at an angle or bent.

3. Arch.

A sharp angle in any surface of wainscoting or other woodwork; the upright sides which flank any paneled work, as the sides of windows, where the jamb makes an elbow with the window back.

Gwilt.

Elbow is used adjectively or as part of a compound, to denote something shaped like, or acting like, an elbow; as, elbow joint; elbow tongs or elbow-tongs; elbowroom, elbow-room, or elbow room.

At the elbow, very near; at hand. -- Elbow grease, energetic application of force in manual labor. [Low] -- Elbow in the hawse Naut., the twisting together of two cables by which a vessel rides at anchor, caused by swinging completely round once. Totten. -- Elbow scissors Surg., scissors bent in the blade or shank for convenience in cutting. Knight. -- Out at elbow, with coat worn through at the elbows; shabby; in needy circumstances.

 

© Webster 1913.


El"bow, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Elbowed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Elbowing.]

To push or hit with the elbow, as when one pushes by another.

They [the Dutch] would elbow our own aldermen off the Royal Exchange. Macaulay.

To elbow one's way, to force one's way by pushing with the elbows; as, to elbow one's way through a crowd.

 

© Webster 1913.


El"bow (?), v. i.

1.

To jut into an angle; to project or to bend after the manner of an elbow.

2.

To push rudely along; to elbow one's way.

"Purseproud, elbowing Insolence."

Grainger.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.