In the video game Half-Life and for most Quake type games and their mods an entity is anything that the player can interact with (use, attack, break, open, turn on, pick up, or be killed by).

Entity types for Half-Life include but are not limted to:
"env" - environment additions
These are effects like blood, sparks, and bubbles.
"ammo" - ammo
Simply ammo to be picked up, each weapon has it's own ammo type. (eg. "ammo_rpgclip")
"func" - functions
These interact with players. They are things like doors, ladders, friction, and much much more. These are applied to brushes (shapes) to turn them into something more than just a polygon. (eg. "func_ladder")
"info" - information about another entity
These tell other entities what they can control, where they lead to, and who they belong to. (eg. "info_teleport_destination" tells where a teleporter will drop you off at.)
"item" - items to grab or use
These can be picked up and held or used by the player. They include guns, armor, and flags. (eg. "item_tfgoal" the flag or object needing to be captured in TFC maps)
"light" - lighting effects
lights to see by. You can control color, path, brightness, and angle. (eg. "light")
"monster" - creatures with AI
Not only are these enemies, but also roaches, police, and friends. (eg. "monster_headcrab")
"trigger" - triggers an event
These cause you and your enemies to fall, move, take injury, or do something against your will when you cross them. (eg. "trigger_push")
"weapon" - a weapon to grab
These are the weapons you can pick up. Ammo is useless untill you have something to put it into. (eg. "weapon_snark")
"xen" - entities of the planet xen
Many things you run into on xen only have their own type. It is an assortment of items. (eg. "xen_tree")

All this was written with the help of world craft
Open eyes perceive the world
Long-clenched fists unfurled
And reaching outward
Ribbons twirled
A shadow spiral dance

Waking, living, breathing
Blood inside me seething
Twisted, warped, and changing size
A pulsing darkness heart

Eyes that click like watches
Rolling round in time
Seeing all the spinning colours
In and out of pattern, rhyme

Varying complexity
In layers, whipped cream and laughter
The cake of our thoughts
Chocolate ever after
Devil's dinner which he eats
Consuming, entombing
Us within his hands

Caged darkness
Neatly dated, bottled, filed
That was when you smiled
Took my hand

En"ti*ty (?), n.; pl. Entities (#). [LL. entitas, fr. L. ens, entis, thing, prop. p. pr. of esse to be: cf. F. entit'e. See Essence, Is.]

A real being, whether in thought (as an ideal conception) or in fact; being; essence; existence.

Self-subsisting entities, such as our own personality. Shairp.

Fortune is no real entity, . . . but a mere relative signification. Bentley.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.