"ai" is both Mandarin Chinese and Japanese for "love". In Chinese it's both the noun and the verb. The hanzi/kanji is almost the same, but Japanese uses the traditional form, whereas you may see the simplified in the PRC. A very, very beautiful character. Currently trendy on teenybopper/raver clothing, platform shoes, and so on. Unfortunately.

AFK = A = AI-complete

AI /A-I/ n.

Abbreviation for `Artificial Intelligence', so common that the full form is almost never written or spoken among hackers.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Ai is also a kind of sloth, of the genus Bradypus. Ais are differentiated by their having three toes from sloths of the genus Choloepus, who have two. Other differences include number of vertebra (three toed sloths have nine, two toed ones six or seven) and tails (ais have them).

Three toed sloths are called "ai" (pronounced "eye") because it is similar to the sound the sloth makes. There are at least three species of three toed sloths, all located in Central and South America.

Ai is a useful scrabble word.

A"i (#), n.; pl. Ais (#). [Braz. ai, hai, from the animal's cry: cf. F. ai.] Zool.

The three-toed sloth (Bradypus tridactylus) of South America. See Sloth.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.