epsilon squared = E = Eric Conspiracy

era n.

Syn. epoch. Webster's Unabridged makes these words almost synonymous, but `era' more often connotes a span of time rather than a point in time, whereas the reverse is true for epoch. The epoch usage is recommended.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk - moved by tribbel from "era the".

Earned Run Average. A baseball statistic defined as the average number of earned runs surrendered by a pitcher per nine innings pitched. The formula is:

ERA = ER * 9 / IP

Where ER is the number of earned runs and IP is the number of innings pitched. The right side of the equation has been simplified from "ER / (IP / 9)".

In Major League Baseball, ERA is represented with two fixed decimal places. An ERA under 3.00 is considered to be very good, while an ERA under 2.00 is outstanding to maintain through a season. This stat can also become very inflated early in the season; if a pitcher surrenders one run in one-third of an inning, his ERA is therefore (1 * 9 / (1/3)) = 27.00. Because a pitcher can surrender runs without getting an out (thus pitching 0 innings) this figure can also be infinite.

E"ra (?), n.; pl. Eras (#). [LL. aera an era, in earlier usage, the items of an account, counters, pl. of aes, aeris, brass, money. See Ore.]

1.

A fixed point of time, usually an epoch, from which a series of years is reckoned.

The foundation of Solomon's temple is conjectured by Ideler to have been an era. R. S. Poole.

2.

A period of time reckoned from some particular date or epoch; a succession of years dating from some important event; as, the era of Alexander; the era of Christ, or the Christian era (see under Christian).

The first century of our era. M. Arnold.

3.

A period of time in which a new order of things prevails; a signal stage of history; an epoch.

Painting may truly be said to have opened the new era of culture. J. A. Symonds.

Syn. -- Epoch; time; date; period; age; dispensation. See Epoch.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.