Where I come from flapjacks are thick, chewy, slightly crunchy, oat based biscuits or bars which have been baked in the oven. Done 'just right' they are one of the scrummiest things known to man.

Recipe

There are no hard and fast rules; flapjacks come in various shapes and sizes and the texture can also vary considerably. I prefer the chewy variety and the recipe below should produce such a beast. Please note that all measurements are approximate.

  • 6 ounces Butter
  • 4 ounces Light Brown Sugar (or Demerara sugar)
  • 1 'huge' tablespoonful of Golden Syrup (as much as you can get on the spoon)
  • Porridge Oats - enough to make the mixture hold together (the quantity depends on the quality of oats used, but you will need upwards of 8 ounces)
  • (optional: replace 2 oz of oats with chopped dried apricots, slivered almonds, walnuts or sunflower seeds for an interesting alternative)

Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat.
Add the oats and stir - this needs to be done gradually so that all the oats are coated but there is no excess liquid
Pour the mixture into an 8" square tin lined with foil or baking parchment, and make level.
Bake for about 30 mins in an oven preheated to 180° C. The top of the mixture should be light golden brown at this stage.
Allow to cool in the tin, then cut into fingers, remove and enjoy.

Beware: they are addictive!

Flap"jack` (?), n.

1.

A flat cake turned on the griddle while cooking; a griddlecake or pacake.

2.

A fried dough cake containing fruit; a turnover.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.