In any sport: The person who defends the receptacle into which the other team is trying to place some sort of object or projectile. Often goalkeepers require special equipment such as exta padding or colors that differentiate them from the rest of their teammates, due to their abilities to handle the object/projectile in a different manner.

Goalkeeper is also a CIWS (close-in weapons system) used by the British, Dutch, German and several other nations', navies. It consists of a GAU-8 30mm cannon mounted on a turreted gun director and radar system.

Its operation is very similar to the US-designed Phalanx CIWS system, but it fires larger, more destructive rounds. In addition to killing enemy fighter aircraft and cruise missiles, it is capable of destroying tanks and lightly armored warships.

A single strike from the 30mm does so much more damage than the armor-piercing discarding sabot 20mm (a 12.7mm tungsten slug with an aluminum sabot to allow it to be fired from a 20mm barrel) used by Phalanx that Goalkeeper is considered by many to be a superior defense, especially against armored missiles and heavy attack aircraft.

The use of 30mm ammunition also allows proximity-fused high-explosive fragmentation rounds, which do not require direct hits to destroy targets.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.