ins is an HTML tag that is used to specify inserted text in an HTML document. While seldom used, this tag is useful for pages that need editing, but also require that the original information still be displayed. While the tag usually renders text by underlining it, the tag should not be used simply for this purpose. The tag is often used in conjunction with the del (delete) tag.

See also: del, u

Attributes

The ins tag does not have any required HTML attributes. It does, however have numerous allowable attributes including:

Usage

To use the ins tag, simply place opening and closing HTML tags around the text is to be specified as insert. For example (used in conjunction with the del tag):

The <del>b tag</del> <ins>strong tag</ins> should be used to display bold text in an HTML document.

On browsers that support this tag, this will typically cause the words "strong tag" to be underlined. Keep in mind that the purpose of this tag is to specify inserted text, not to underline text. If you simply want to underline your text for any other reason, you should technically use Cascading Style Sheets, however there is also the deprecated u tag that will do this as well.

Everything2 Support?

E2 does provide limited support for the insert tag. It does not allow the use of any of its HTML attributes. Below is how your browser displays the example above here on Everything2:

The b tag strong tag should be used to display bold text in an HTML document.

If you would like to use this tag with any of its attributes, you can do so in your Notelet Nodelet.

Common Browser Implementations*

Most web browsers support this tag, as it has been around since HTML 4.0. Most browsers will display the inserted text as underlined, but are not required to do so.

Previous HTML Tag: input (previous E2 supported HTML tag: i)
Next HTML Tag: isindex (next E2 supported HTML tag: kbd)
See Also: HTML tags and HTML attributes


* Please feel free to send me information about how other browsers implement this tag.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.