This is the genealogy of the programming language B:

B is a child of BCPL.
B was born in year 1969.
Then it begat C in year 1971.

This genealogy is brought to you by the Programming Languages Genealogy Project.

Guitar chords: B major
B
 X
 ======
 ||||||
 ------
 |1---1  2nd fret
 ------
 ||||||
 ------
 ||234|
 ------
 ||||||
 ------
  BFBDF
   # ##

Notes:   1  : B
         3  : D#
         5  : F#

The b musical notation symbol (approximated), also known as the flat, can appear amid a song (an accidental), or in the key signature. Any note that falls on the note modified by the flat will cause any previous accidental or key signature (for that note) to be considered moot and the new, flatted, value to take its place. The value is then lowered a half-step harmonically.

For example:

  • C becomes Cb (which is enharmonically the same as a B).
  • D# becomes a Db (which is the same as C#)

And so on.

b is an HTML tag that is used to specify bold text within an HTML document. While not deprecated in the W3C HTML specification, it is suggested that webmasters separate style from content by using cascading style sheets instead of the b tag. It is, however deprecated in the newer XHTML specification, where it is replaced by the strong tag (i.e., strong emphasis).

See also: em, i, strong, s, strike, tt, u.

Attributes

There are no required HTML attributes for the b tag, and in fact, attributes are seldom used with this element. Regardless, the following are all valid options for the bold tag in your HTML documents:

Usage

To use the b tag, simply place opening and closing HTML tags around the letters or words. For example:

I like to use <b>bold text</b> in my sentences.

On browsers that support this tag, this will cause the words "bold text" to appear darker and thicker than the surrounding text.

Everything2 Support?

E2 does provide limited support for the b tag. E2 does not provide support for any of this tag's HTML attributes. Below is how your browser displays the example above here on Everything2:

I like to use bold text in my sentences.

If you would like to use this tag with any or all of its attributes, you can do so in your Notelet Nodelet.

Common Browser Implementations*

Most web browsers support this tag, as it has been around since at least HTML version 2. Nearly every browser displays bold text in a similar manner, however you may see some very slight differences depending on your browser or operating system.

Previous HTML Tag: area (previous E2 supported HTML tag: acronym)
Next HTML Tag: base (next E2 supported HTML tag: big)
See Also: HTML tags and HTML attributes


* Please feel free to send me information if you know of any browsers that implement this tag in an unusual manner.

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

See also: ß, Β, β, ɓ, ʙ, Љ, Њ, Б, В, Ъ, Ы, Ь, б, в, ъ, ы, ь, љ, њ,

BE / BEE

'B' or 'b' is:

Values and Representations of "B" and "b"

In photography, B is a shutter setting. When a shutter is on B, it will remain open as long as the release button is depressed; combined with a suitable locking remote release, it allows one to take very long exposures, longer than what the shutter would allow by itself.

I think that digital cameras typically do not have the B setting.

B stands for bulb, but what bulb are we talking about? I have read two theories for the origin of the word; one is that this is about flashbulbs, while theory two refers to the air bulbs that one finds at the end of pneumatic remote release cables. The first one sounds more convincing to me, dating back to an era when you did not have synchronized shutters.

See also: shutter, exposure, T and X.

B (bee)

is the second letter of the English alphabet. (See Guide to Pronunciation, ยงยง 196,220.) It is etymologically related to p , v , f , w and m , letters representing sounds having a close organic affinity to its own sound; as in Eng. bursar and purser; Eng. bear and Lat. pear; Eng. silver and Ger. silber; Lat. cubitum and It. gomito; Eng. seven, Anglo-Saxon seofon, Ger. sieben, Lat. septem, Gr., Sanskrit saptan. The form of letter B is Roman, from Greek B (Beta), of Semitic origin. The small b was formed by gradual change from the capital B.

In Music, B is the nominal of the seventh tone in the model major scale (the scale of C major), or of the second tone in its relative minor scale (that of A minor). Bb stands for B flat, the tone a half step, or semitone, lower than B. In German, B stands for our Bb, while our B natural is called H (pronounced ha).

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.