A gathering organized around the skillful use of some talent, such as in a spelling bee or a quilting bee.

Bees, those happy little social animals, are actually hiding a fair amount of unpleasant behavior in their hives. For example, where the queen bee becomes too old, she is chased through the hive by other female bees until they kill her. Pretty much everyone knows that drone bees only mate and die. But did you know why? It's because their genitals explode during mating. Sad, but necessary if the drone is to set up a genital plug to prevent other drones from inseminating the queen. Ewww.

Bee (?),

p. p. of Be; -- used for been.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bee (?), n. [AS. beo; akin to D. bij and bije, Icel. b, Sw. & Dan. bi, OHG. pini, G. biene, and perh. Ir. beach, Lith. bitis, Skr. bha. &root;97.]

1. Zool.

An insect of the order Hymenoptera, and family Apidae (the honeybees), or family Andrenidae (the solitary bees.) See Honeybee.

⇒ There are many genera and species. The common honeybee (Apis mellifica) lives in swarms, each of which has its own queen, its males or drones, and its very numerous workers, which are barren females. Besides the A. mellifica there are other species and varieties of honeybees, as the A. ligustica of Spain and Italy; the A. Indica of India; the A. fasciata of Egypt. The bumblebee is a species of Bombus. The tropical honeybees belong mostly to Melipoma and Trigona.

2.

A neighborly gathering of people who engage in united labor for the benefit of an individual or family; as, a quilting bee; a husking bee; a raising bee.

[U. S.]

The cellar . . . was dug by a bee in a single day. S. G. Goodrich.

3. pl. [Prob. fr. AS. be�xa0;h ring, fr. bgan to bend. See 1st Bow.] Naut.

Pieces of hard wood bolted to the sides of the bowsprit, to reeve the fore-topmast stays through; -- called also bee blocks.

Bee beetle Zool., a beetle (Trichodes apiarius) parasitic in beehives. -- Bee bird Zool., a bird that eats the honeybee, as the European flycatcher, and the American kingbird. -- Bee flower Bot., an orchidaceous plant of the genus Ophrys (O. apifera), whose flowers have some resemblance to bees, flies, and other insects. -- Bee fly Zool., a two winged fly of the family Bombyliidae. Some species, in the larval state, are parasitic upon bees. -- Bee garden, a garden or inclosure to set beehives in ; an apiary. Mortimer. -- Bee glue, a soft, unctuous matter, with which bees cement the combs to the hives, and close up the cells; -- called also propolis. -- Bee hawk Zool., the honey buzzard. -- Bee killer Zool., a large two-winged fly of the family Asilidae (esp. Trupanea apivora) which feeds upon the honeybee. See Robber fly. -- Bee louse Zool., a minute, wingless, dipterous insect (Braula caeca) parasitic on hive bees. -- Bee martin Zool., the kingbird (Tyrannus Carolinensis) which occasionally feeds on bees. -- Bee moth Zool., a moth (Galleria cereana) whose larvae feed on honeycomb, occasioning great damage in beehives. -- Bee wolf Zool., the larva of the bee beetle. See Illust. of Bee beetle. -- To have a bee in the headin the bonnet. (a) To be choleric. [Obs.] (b) To be restless or uneasy. B. Jonson. (c) To be full of fancies; to be a little crazy. "She's whiles crack-brained, and has a bee in her head." Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.