Finance

A bank is an institution usually makes most of its money by lending out credit against a security in exchange for interest. Which is to say, of course, that a bank makes money by creating money.

A bank's assets are their loans and their liabilities are your deposits ... get it?


Aeronautics / Flying

In airplane terminology, banking means tipping the aircraft to the left or right along an axis that runs from the nose to the tail of the aircraft, usually as part of a maneuver to turn the aircraft.

In Civilization and Civilization II, a bank is a city improvement related to tax and luxury rates. A bank requires the advance of banking and a bit of production to create. It also requires a marketplace in the city already. The bonus it creates is a %50 bonus to luxury and tax.

A bank can be a very important wonder, especially under republic or democracy. The reason for this is that republic and democracy can produce a great amount of trade, but also a great amount of discontent. A bank turns a large chunk of that trade into luxury, which eases the discontent.

The effect can be quite noticable, in that building a bank can change a city on the edge of unrest into a city celebrating "We Love the President Day".

Banc (&?;), Ban"cus (&?;), Bank (&?;), n. [OF. banc, LL. bancus. See Bank, n.]

A bench; a high seat, or seat of distinction or judgment; a tribunal or court.

In banc, In banco (the ablative of bancus), In bank, in full court, or with full judicial authority; as, sittings in banc (distinguished from sittings at nisi prius).

 

© Webster 1913


Bank (ba&nsm;k), n. [OE. banke; akin to E. bench, and prob. of Scand. origin; cf. Icel. bakki. See Bench.]

1.

A mound, pile, or ridge of earth, raised above the surrounding level; hence, anything shaped like a mound or ridge of earth; as, a bank of clouds; a bank of snow.

They cast up a bank against the city.
2 Sam. xx. 15.

2.

A steep acclivity, as the slope of a hill, or the side of a ravine.

3.

The margin of a watercourse; the rising ground bordering a lake, river, or sea, or forming the edge of a cutting, or other hollow.

Tiber trembled underneath her banks.
Shak.

4.

An elevation, or rising ground, under the sea; a shoal, shelf, or shallow; as, the banks of Newfoundland.

5. (Mining)

(a)

The face of the coal at which miners are working.

(b)

A deposit of ore or coal, worked by excavations above water level.

(c)

The ground at the top of a shaft; as, ores are brought to bank.

Bank beaver (Zoöl.), the otter. [Local, U.S.] --
Bank swallow, a small American and European swallow (Clivicola riparia) that nests in a hole which it excavates in a bank.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Banked(ba&nsm;kt); p. pr. & vb. n. Banking.]

1.

To raise a mound or dike about; to inclose, defend, or fortify with a bank; to embank. "Banked well with earth." Holland.

2.

To heap or pile up; as, to bank sand.

3.

To pass by the banks of. [Obs.] Shak.

To bank a fire, To bank up a fire, to cover the coals or embers with ashes or cinders, thus keeping the fire low but alive.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, n. [Prob. fr. F. banc. Of German origin, and akin to E. bench. See Bench.]

1.

A bench, as for rowers in a galley; also, a tier of oars.

Placed on their banks, the lusty Trojan sweep
Neptune's smooth face, and cleave the yielding deep.
Waller.

2. (Law)

(a)

The bench or seat upon which the judges sit.

(b)

The regular term of a court of law, or the full court sitting to hear arguments upon questions of law, as distinguished from a sitting at Nisi Prius, or a court held for jury trials. See Banc. Burrill.

3. (Printing)

A sort of table used by printers.

4. (Music)

A bench, or row of keys belonging to a keyboard, as in an organ. Knight.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, n. [F. banque, It. banca, orig. bench, table, counter, of German origin, and akin to E. bench; cf. G. bank bench, OHG. banch. See Bench, and cf. Banco, Beach.]

1.

An establishment for the custody, loan, exchange, or issue, of money, and for facilitating the transmission of funds by drafts or bills of exchange; an institution incorporated for performing one or more of such functions, or the stockholders (or their representatives, the directors), acting in their corporate capacity.

2.

The building or office used for banking purposes.

3.

A fund from deposits or contributions, to be used in transacting business; a joint stock or capital. [Obs.]

Let it be no bank or common stock, but every man be master of his own money.
Bacon.

4. (Gaming)

The sum of money or the checks which the dealer or banker has as a fund, from which to draw his stakes and pay his losses.

5.

In certain games, as dominos, a fund of pieces from which the players are allowed to draw.

Bank credit, a credit by which a person who has given the required security to a bank has liberty to draw to a certain extent agreed upon. --
Bank of deposit, a bank which receives money for safe keeping. --
Bank of issue, a bank which issues its own notes payable to bearer.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, v. t.

To deposit in a bank. Johnson.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, v. i.

1.

To keep a bank; to carry on the business of a banker.

2.

To deposit money in a bank; to have an account with a banker.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, n.

A group or series of objects arranged near together; as, a bank of electric lamps, etc.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, n. (Aëronautics)

The lateral inclination of an aëroplane as it rounds a curve; as, a bank of 45° is easy; a bank of 90° is dangerous.

 

© Webster 1913


Bank, v. i. (Aëronautics)

To tilt sidewise in rounding a curve; -- said of a flying machine, an aërocurve, or the like.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.