SysVile = T = tail recursion

T /T/

1. [from LISP terminology for `true'] Yes. Used in reply to a question (particularly one asked using The -P convention). In LISP, the constant T means `true', among other things. Some Lisp hackers use `T' and `NIL' instead of `Yes' and `No' almost reflexively. This sometimes causes misunderstandings. When a waiter or flight attendant asks whether a hacker wants coffee, he may absently respond `T', meaning that he wants coffee; but of course he will be brought a cup of tea instead. Fortunately, most hackers (particularly those who frequent Chinese restaurants) like tea at least as well as coffee -- so it is not that big a problem. 2. See time T (also since time T equals minus infinity). 3. [techspeak] In transaction-processing circles, an abbreviation for the noun `transaction'. 4. [Purdue] Alternate spelling of tee. 5. A dialect of LISP developed at Yale. (There is an intended allusion to NIL, "New Implementation of Lisp", another dialect of Lisp developed for the VAX)

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

(Everything mentioned above, plus):

T is the NYSE symbol for AT&T.

I couldn't find an IPO date, although you know Ma Bell must have been on Wall Street for a while now.

In the domain of photography, T is a shutter setting, prevalent on mechanical shutters. A shutter set on T will open when the release is pressed, and it will remain open until the release is pressed a second time.

This setting is obviously useful for extremely long exposures: contrast with B.

T (tee),

the twentieth letter of the English alphabet, is a nonvocal consonant. With the letter h it forms the digraph th, which has two distinct sounds, as in thin, then. See Guide to Pronunciation, §§262-264, and also §§153, 156, 169, 172, 176, 178-180.

The letter derives its name and form from the Latin, the form of the Latin letter being further derived through the Greek from the Phœnician. The ultimate origin is probably Egyptian. It is etymologically most nearly related to d, s, th; as in tug, duke; two, dual, L. duo; resin, L. resina, Gr. "rhti`nh, tent, tense, a., tenuous, thin; nostril, thrill. See D, S.

T bandage (Surg.), a bandage shaped like the letter T, and used principally for application to the groin, or perineum. -- T cart, a kind of fashionable two seated wagon for pleasure driving. -- T iron. (a) A rod with a short crosspiece at the end, -- used as a hook. (b) Iron in bars, having a cross section formed like the letter T, -- used in structures. -- T rail, a kind of rail for railroad tracks, having no flange at the bottom so that a section resembles the letter T. -- T square, a ruler having a crosspiece or head at one end, for the purpose of making parallel lines; -- so called from its shape. It is laid on a drawing board and guided by the crosspiece, which is pressed against the straight edge of the board. Sometimes the head is arranged to be set at different angles. -- To a T, exactly, perfectly; as, to suit to a T. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.