- In OSPF, a group of routers that exchange routing information.

- In primarily Midwestern slang (esp. Minnesota)s, an area is, you know....ahm....your area...:::::blushing::::

In the context of Mystery Science Theater 3000, area is slang for crotch or groin. The origin of this particular meaning is fully explainined in the The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, but in short, writer Bridget Jones blurted out the word in its new context upon seeing a particularly blatant...well, area, in one of the horrible films the writing staff was viewing.

A"re*a ]

1.

Any plane surface, as of the floor of a room or church, or of the ground within an inclosure; an open space in a building.

The Alban lake . . . looks like the area of some vast amphitheater. Addison.

2.

The inclosed space on which a building stands.

3.

The sunken space or court, giving ingress and affording light to the basement of a building.

4.

An extent of surface; a tract of the earth's surface; a region; as, vast uncultivated areas.

5. Geom.

The superficial contents of any figure; the surface included within any given lines; superficial extent; as, the area of a square or a triangle.

6. Biol.

A spot or small marked space; as, the germinative area.

7.

Extent; scope; range; as, a wide area of thought.

The largest area of human history and man's common nature. F. Harrison.

Dry area. See under Dry.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.