gweep = H = ha ha only serious

h

[from SF fandom] A method of `marking' common words, i.e., calling attention to the fact that they are being used in a nonstandard, ironic, or humorous way. Originated in the fannish catchphrase "Bheer is the One True Ghod!" from decades ago. H-infix marking of `Ghod' and other words spread into the 1960s counterculture via underground comix, and into early hackerdom either from the counterculture or from SF fandom (the three overlapped heavily at the time). More recently, the h infix has become an expected feature of benchmark names (Dhrystone, Rhealstone, etc.); this is probably patterning on the original Whetstone (the name of a laboratory) but influenced by the fannish/counterculture h infix.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

In Japan H (pronounced etchi) can mean sex, a horny/sexual/sexy person/thing, or a lewd person. When asked why a single English letter is used in this way, most Japanese people will be stumped for an answer. Some people say that it is short for hentai.

Some examples of use for the three meanings listed above.

  • "H shio"- Let's have sex. Only used by young couples and only if they have been a couple for a while.
  • "ano shaato wa chotto H da ne"- That shirt is quite sexy.
  • "H!! Used, mostly by girls to playfully reprimand guys when they make suggestive comments. Is also used as a bit of dirty talk during sex. eg: "H!!", "no, you are H".

A   B   C   D   E   F   G   H   I   J   K   L   M   N   O   P   Q   R   S   T   U   V   W   X   Y   Z

See also: Η, η, , Ĥ, ĥ, Ħ, ħ, ɥ, ɦ, ʜ, ʰ, Η, һ, Ђ, Њ, Ћ, Л, ю, ђ, њ, ћ, Ң, ң, Ҹ, ҹ, Һ, һ, , , ,

AITCH / HAITCH

"H" or "h" is:

Values and Representations of "H" and "h"

H (aitch)

, the eighth letter of the English alphabet, is classed among the consonants, and is formed with the mouth organs in the same position as that of the succeeding vowel. It is used with certain consonants to form digraphs representing sounds which are not found in the alphabet, as sh, th, th, as in shall, thing, thine (for zh see §274); also, to modify the sounds of some other letters, as when placed after c and p, with the former of which it represents a compound sound like that of tsh, as in charm (written also tch as in catch), with the latter, the sound of f, as in phase, phantom. In some words, mostly derived or introduced from foreign languages, h following c and g indicates that those consonants have the hard sound before e, i, and y, as in chemistry, chiromancy, chyle, Ghent, Ghibelline, etc.; in some others, ch has the sound of sh, as in chicane. See Guide to Pronunciation, §§ 153, 179, 181-3, 237-8.

The name (aitch) is from the French ache; its form is from the Latin, and this from the Greek H, which was used as the sign of the spiritus asper (rough breathing) before it came to represent the long vowel, Gr. Η. The Greek H is from Phenician, the ultimate origin probably being Egyptian. Etymologically H is most closely related to c; as in E. horn, L. cornu, Gr. ke`ras; E. hele, v. t., conceal; E. hide, L. cutis, Gr. ky`tos; E. hundred, L. centum, Gr. 'e-kat-on, Skr. &csdot;ata.

H piece Mining, the part of a plunger pump which contains the valve.

 

© Webster 1913.


H Mus.

The seventh degree in the diatonic scale, being used by the Germans for B natural. See B.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.