1. Stolen; illegally produced or obtained; dangerous to handle. 2. Wanted by the police. 3. Characterized by intense police activity; under police surveillance. 4. Angry. 5. Skilled; keyed up to perform with more than customary skill. 6. Recently stolen, hence, being sought by the police.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Hot also often means attractive or sexy. However, I've always felt that when a girl has true beauty, the word "hot" is not worthy of her.

In jazz music, "hot" means fast and energetic, full of radical improvisation and heavily syncopated. The opposite of "sweet".

1996 release by the Squirrel Nut Zippers. This was their big vault into fame and fortune. Hot is very polished, and very obviously marketed for commercial appeal.

That bothers some people. If you're one of them, I'm sure you'll be chafed.

That having been said... there is good work on Hot - Got My Own Thing Now and Blue Angel are excellent pieces.

  1. Got My Own Thing Now
  2. Put A Lid On It
  3. Memphis Exorcism
  4. Twilight
  5. It Ain't You
  6. Prince Nez
  7. Hell
  8. Meant To Be
  9. Bad Businessman
  10. Flight Of The Passing Fancy
  11. Blue Angel
  12. The Interlocutor

The scrum in Winchester College football. Refers both to the players, and the thing that is done by them. Also a verb, to hot, which means to take part in a hot.

When the game is six a side there are three players in the hot, one row of three. When the game is nine a side there is a second row of two men. If the game includes ten people per side then there is one man in the third row. At fifteen a side there are two hangers on in the second row. The player in the middle of the front row is called the OP. The apart from this the positions are described using rugby terminology.

During the act of a hot the two hots form up as in rugby. The ball is put in by the hotwatch of the side that has been awarded the hot. The OP cannot hook the ball as the hooker in rugby can, but once his team have pushed sufficently far that his centre of mass is over the ball then he may heel it back.

Hot (?), imp. & p. p.

of Hote.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hot (?), a. [Compar. Hotter (?); superl. Hottest (?).] [OE. hot, hat, AS. hat; akin to OS. h�xc7;t, D. heet, OHG. heiz, G. heiss, Icel. heitr, Sw. het, Dan. heed, hed; cf. Goth. heito fever, hais torch. Cf. Heat.]

1.

Having much sensible heat; exciting the feeling of warmth in a great degree; very warm; -- opposed to cold, and exceeding warm in degree; as, a hot stove; hot water or air.

"A hotvenison pasty."

Shak.

2.

Characterized by heat, ardor, or animation; easily excited; firely; vehement; passionate; violent; eager.

Achilles is impatient, hot, and revengeful. Dryden.

There was mouthing in hot haste. Byron.

3.

Lustful; lewd; lecherous.

Shak.

4.

Acrid; biting; pungent; as, hot as mustard.

Hot bed Iron Manuf., an iron platform in a rolling mill, on which hot bars, rails, etc., are laid to cool. -- Hot wall Gardening, a wall provided with flues for the conducting of heat, to hasten the growth of fruit trees or the ripening of fruit. -- Hot well Condensing Engines, a receptacle for the hot water drawn from the condenser by the air pump. This water is returned to the boiler, being drawn from the hot well by the feed pump. -- In hot water (Fig.), in trouble; in difficulties. [Colloq.]

Syn. -- Burning; fiery; fervid; glowing; eager; animated; brisk; vehement; precipitate; violent; furious; ardent; fervent; impetuous; irascible; passionate; hasty; excitable.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.