Many would say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but Plato thinks that there is some "thing" which is true beauty and it has been shown that there is inherent beauty in symmetry such that little kids (pre-talking age) show dramatic reactions to symmetical faces through smiles and crying. I think that what you see as beauty is good for you, but it would seem that there is some absolute.

Beauty
by Charles Baudelaire

I am as beautiful, O mortals! as a dream of stone,
And my breast, on which each man is wounded in turn,
Is made to inspire in the poet a love
As eternal and mute as matter.

I preside in the heavens like a misunderstood sphinx;
I unite a heart of snow with the whiteness of swans;
I hate all movement which displaces lines,
And I never weep and never laugh.

The poets before my great poses,
Which I seem to borrow from the proudest monuments,
Will consume their days in austere studies;

For I have, in order to fascinate these docile lovers,
Pure mirrors which make all things more beautiful:
My eyes, my large eyes with their eternal light!

Hanging lashes dangling off her cheek.
Long, dark, Amazon hair dips and touches my heart.
My eyes are steady, gazing fast and stern with mal-intent to do un-natural things.
Cigarettes ash and females weep but of all the beauty a bar reaps this something that actually speaks.
A cold hand over a soft thigh.
A new nakedness with a new person.
My new Amazon who can hold me better than I hold myself.
Forget the old Finch, she’s no good to me anyway.
My new Amazon will love, she will give to me, she will awaken me.

Beau"ty (?), n.; pl. Beauties (#). [OE. beaute, beute, OF. beaut'e, biaut'e, Pr. beltat, F. beaut'e, fr. an assumed LL. bellitas, from L. bellus pretty. See Beau.]

1.

An assemblage or graces or properties pleasing to the eye, the ear, the intellect, the aesthetic faculty, or the moral sense.

Beauty consists of a certain composition of color and figure, causing delight in the beholder. Locke.

The production of beauty by a multiplicity of symmetrical parts uniting in a consistent whole. Wordsworth.

The old definition of beauty, in the Roman school, was, "multitude in unity;" and there is no doubt that such is the principle of beauty. Coleridge.

2.

A particular grace, feature, ornament, or excellence; anything beautiful; as, the beauties of nature.

3.

A beautiful person, esp. a beautiful woman.

All the admired beauties of Verona. Shak.

4.

Prevailing style or taste; rage; fashion.

[Obs.]

She stained her hair yellow, which was then the beauty. Jer. Taylor.

Beauty spot, a patch or spot placed on the face with intent to heighten beauty by contrast.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.