A property and description of something that could easily draw blood. Generally regarded as bad to fall on. Musically, it is when a certain note has a slightly higher pitch than what is commonly considered "standard", like playing A442 as opposed to A440.

A Japanese electronics company. They make cool stuff like Minidisc players, TVs and Video Cameras. Their stuff is decent quality, but not quite up to the level of good Sony Stuff. I own a MD-MT15 Minidic Player/Recorder from them and a VLH-100 Video Camera, as well as an old TV. I'm pretty pleased with their stuff. They also are the largest manufacturer of LCD panels.

In music notation, a sharp is a tic-tac-toe symbol which indicates that a certain note should be raised a half step. If used in the key signature, it means that note should be raised a half-step whenever it is encountered; if used as an accidental, it means that only that note should be changed.

The half-step increment applies whether it changes the note to a "white key" or not. For instance, A-sharp is the same as B-flat, but B-sharp is the same as C.

A sharp looks like this, when used in the key signature and as an accidental with a half note:


     /\                                               
----| /----#-----------------------------------------------
    |/             # O                                    
----/---------------|--------------------------------------
   /|    #          |                                      
--/-|/\-------------|--------------------------------------
 |  |  |            |                                      
-|--|--|----#----------------------------------------------
  \ |  |                                               
---\|_/----------------------------------------------------
    |                                                  
   \|                                                  

It is difficult to convey the actual picture of a sharp in this medium, although mblase makes a strong attempt.

The sharp is virtually the same size as the space between the lines. The part of the sign that is read is the parallelogram inside the tic-tac-toe: it must fill the the space if the sharp is on the space; the line must bisect it if it is one the line.

The name of the Sharp Corp. goes back to the first well-known product of the company, the Ever-Sharp Pencil, which was a rather stylish (even by today's standards) mechanical pencil. SHARP was founded in 1912 by Tokuji Hayakawa - whose heirs can still be found working for SHARP.

Todays product range includes everything from LCD displays to computers, copiers, consumer electronics, cash registers and ultrasonic washing machines. SHARP employs about 60000 people world-wide, a huge amount of them in R&D. (About ten percent of the profit supposedly are spent in SHARP Labs - the companies research brand.)

The currently best-known SHARP product in Hackerdom is most likely the SL-5500 Linux-based PDA, which will even run Nethack.

Sharp (?), a. [Compar. Sharper (?); superl. Sharpest.] [OE. sharp, scharp, scarp, AS. scearp; akin to OS. skarp, LG. scharp, D. scherp, G. scharf, Dan. & Sw. skarp, Icel. skarpr. Cf. Escarp, Scrape, Scorpion.]

1.

Having a very thin edge or fine point; of a nature to cut or pierce easily; not blunt or dull; keen.

He dies upon my scimeter's sharp point. Shak.

2.

Terminating in a point or edge; not obtuse or rounded; somewhat pointed or edged; peaked or ridged; as, a sharp hill; sharp features.

3.

Affecting the sense as if pointed or cutting, keen, penetrating, acute: to the taste or smell, pungent, acid, sour, as ammonia has a sharp taste and odor; to the hearing, piercing, shrill, as a sharp sound or voice; to the eye, instantaneously brilliant, dazzling, as a sharp flash.

4. Mus. (a)

High in pitch; acute; as, a sharp note or tone.

(b)

Raised a semitone in pitch; as, C sharp (C♯), which is a half step, or semitone, higher than C.

(c)

So high as to be out of tune, or above true pitch; as, the tone is sharp; that instrument is sharp. Opposed in all these senses to flat.

5.

Very trying to the feelings; pierching; keen; severe; painful; distressing; as, sharp pain, weather; a sharp and frosty air.

Sharp misery had worn him to the bones. Shak.

The morning sharp and clear. Cowper.

In sharpest perils faithful proved. Keble.

6.

Cutting in language or import; biting; sarcastic; cruel; harsh; rigorous; severe; as, a sharp rebuke.

"That sharp look."

Tennyson.

To that place the sharp Athenian law Can not pursue us. Shak.

Be thy words severe, Sharp as merits but the sword forbear. Dryden.

7.

Of keen perception; quick to discern or distinguish; having nice discrimination; acute; penetrating; sagacious; clever; as, a sharp eye; sharp sight, hearing, or judgment.

Nothing makes men sharper . . . than want. Addison.

Many other things belong to the material world, wherein the sharpest philosophers have never ye arrived at clear and distinct ideas. L. Watts.

8.

Eager in pursuit; keen in quest; impatient for gratification; keen; as, a sharp appetite.

9.

Fierce; ardent; fiery; violent; impetuous.

"In sharp contest of battle."

Milton.

A sharp assault already is begun. Dryden.

10.

Keenly or unduly attentive to one's own interest; close and exact in dealing; shrewd; as, a sharp dealer; a sharp customer.

The necessity of being so sharp and exacting. Swift.

11.

Composed of hard, angular grains; gritty; as, sharp sand.

Moxon.

12.

Steep; precipitous; abrupt; as, a sharp ascent or descent; a sharp turn or curve.

13. Phonetics

Uttered in a whisper, or with the breath alone, without voice, as certain consonants, such as p, k, t, f; surd; nonvocal; aspirated.

Sharp is often used in the formation of self-explaining compounds; as, sharp-cornered, sharp-edged, sharp-pointed, sharp-tasted, sharp-visaged, etc.

Sharp practice, the getting of an advantage, or the attempt to do so, by a tricky expedient. -- To brace sharp, or To sharp up Naut., to turn the yards to the most oblique position possible, that the ship may lie well up to the wind.

Syn. -- Keen; acute; piercing; penetrating; quick; sagacious; discerning; shrewd; witty; ingenious; sour; acid; tart; pungent; acrid; severe; poignant; biting; acrimonious; sarcastic; cutting; bitter; painful; afflictive; violent; harsh; fierce; ardent; fiery.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sharp (?), adv.

1.

To a point or edge; piercingly; eagerly; sharply.

M. Arnold.

The head [of a spear] full sharp yground. Chaucer.

You bite so sharp at reasons. Shak.

2.

Precisely; exactly; as, we shall start at ten o'clock sharp.

[Colloq.]

Look sharp, attend; be alert. [Colloq.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Sharp, n.

1.

A sharp tool or weapon.

[Obs.]

If butchers had but the manners to go to sharps, gentlemen would be contented with a rubber at cuffs. Collier.

2. Mus. (a)

The character [♯] used to indicate that the note before which it is placed is to be raised a half step, or semitone, in pitch.

(b)

A sharp tone or note.

Shak.

3.

A portion of a stream where the water runs very rapidly.

[Prov. Eng.]

C. Kingsley.

4.

A sewing needle having a very slender point; a needle of the most pointed of the three grades, blunts, betweens, and sharps.

5. pl.

Same as Middlings, 1.

6.

An expert.

[Slang]

 

© Webster 1913.


Sharp, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Sharped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Sharping.]

1.

To sharpen.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

2. Mus.

To raise above the proper pitch; to elevate the tone of; especially, to raise a half step, or semitone, above the natural tone.

 

© Webster 1913.


Sharp, v. i.

1.

To play tricks in bargaining; to act the sharper.

L'Estrange.

2. Mus.

To sing above the proper pitch.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.