Scrape (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Scraped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Scraping.] [Icel. skrapa; akin to Sw. skrapa, Dan. skrabe, D. schrapen, schrabben, G. schrappen, and prob. to E. sharp.]

1.

To rub over the surface of (something) with a sharp or rough instrument; to rub over with something that roughens by removing portions of the surface; to grate harshly over; to abrade; to make even, or bring to a required condition or form, by moving the sharp edge of an instrument breadthwise over the surface with pressure, cutting away excesses and superfluous parts; to make smooth or clean; as, to scrape a bone with a knife; to scrape a metal plate to an even surface.

2.

To remove by rubbing or scraping (in the sense above).

I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock. Ezek. xxvi. 4.

3.

To collect by, or as by, a process of scraping; to gather in small portions by laborius effort; hence, to acquire avariciously and save penuriously; -- often followed by together or up; as, to scrape money together.

The prelatical party complained that, to swell a number the nonconformists did not choose, but scrape, subscribers. Fuller.

4.

To express disapprobation of, as a play, or to silence, as a speaker, by drawing the feet back and forth upon the floor; -- usually with down.

Macaulay.

To scrape acquaintance, to seek acquaintance otherwise than by an introduction.

Farquhar.

He tried to scrape acquaintance with her, but failed ignominiously. G. W. Cable.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scrape, v. i.

1.

To rub over the surface of anything with something which roughens or removes it, or which smooths or cleans it; to rub harshly and noisily along.

2.

To occupy one's self with getting laboriously; as, he scraped and saved until he became rich. "[Spend] their scraping fathers' gold." Shak.

3.

To play awkwardly and inharmoniously on a violin or like instrument.

4.

To draw back the right foot along the ground or floor when making a bow.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scrape, n.

1.

The act of scraping; also, the effect of scraping, as a scratch, or a harsh sound; as, a noisy scrape on the floor; a scrape of a pen.

2.

A drawing back of the right foot when bowing; also, a bow made with that accompaniment.

H. Spencer.

3.

A disagreable and embrassing predicament, as it were, a painful rubbing or scraping; a perplexity; a difficulty.

The too eager pursuit of this his old enemy through thick and thin has led him into many of these scrapes. Bp. Warburton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.