Integer Information Metanode

This is the master index and explanation of the integer writeups created by the user NN. If you have any suggestions or ideas of things to add to the writeups, please /msg me, N-Wing. (If it is a long suggestion, just add it as a writeup here, and /msg me.)

Wanted (I would really appreciate whoever provided me with this stuff)

  • math packages in Java that do floating-point operations on large numbers (the ones in the java.math package don't have all the functionality I want, like roots and logs)
  • how to say numbers in other languages (example: 3 in Spanish is "tres")

Generation Information (about this project)
The entire generation program and the autonoder libraries are written in Java. Currently, one program is run that generates an HTML file for each number, and the autonoder takes them and submits the writeup to E2. There are three reasons they are separate:

  1. so I can easily preview them before they're uploaded
  2. I'm not always online, so I can run the computationally expensive (read: slow) part while offline, and batch-upload later
  3. I'm too lazy to combine them :)

Represention (notes on the display of the various mathematical things)
Except where indicated otherwise, all numbers are in decimal, or base 10 (base 1111111111 (base 1)).
(HTML can't display mathematical equations very well, and not all popular browsers support many character entities, or MathML), so (some things are displayed in several ways, and aren't mathematically correct in the display).
Exponents are represented two ways; for example, 2 to the 3rd power is shown as 23 and 2^3 .
Multiplication is shown via a *; for example, 2 times 3 is shown as 2 * 3 .
Division is shown via a /; for example, 2 divided by 3 is shown as 2/3 .
Numbers written in scientific notation denote the * 10m, or 10^m, via a small capital E; for example, 0.000001234 would be displayed as 1.234E-6, which is the same as 1.234 * 10-6 or 1.234 * 10^-6 .

Sources (sorted by author)

old chestnut: language equations writeups
these writeups by /dev/joe have some information about different numbers (example: 12 E. in a D. = 12 eggs in a dozen)
npb Java libraries
various Java classes, copyright 2000 by Nathan Bronecke and released under the LGPL : things in npb.everything enabled me to autonode in Java; things in npb.math were useful for some of the math manipulation
The Book of Numbers
a book by John H. Conway and Richard K. Guy, copyright 1996 by Springer-Verlag New York, Inc., ISBN 0-387-97993-X, chapters 1 ("The Romance of Numbers") and 2 ("Figures from Figures: Doing Arithmetic and Algebra by Geometry") : some numeric formulas (like nth pentatop number), and probably other things; this is a neat book, covering different numeric concepts, and geared for all ages (OK, not all ages, but people with different backgrounds, not just math nuts)
Children of Dune
a book by Frank Herbert copyright 1976 by himself and not the publisher Ace Books : for the numbers 1 to 6 in Fremen; note: yes, I know, Dune is fictious, and Fremen is a fictious language, but I wrote this thing, so I use do whatever languages I want to use :P
Number::Spell
a Perl module, version 0.04, by Les Howard : the names of big numbers, and how the British name big numbers (this wasn't really used directly, but the code kind of helped me in writing my own number spelling)
Also thanks to...
The Cow
for suggesting an alternative name to the "letter outline" A, B, ... Z, AA, AB, ... AZ, BA, ... series ("spreadsheet column number" and "database column number")

Integer List (the integers that have been noded under this project)

(Do you want to see [a] certain integer[s]? /msg me! (Maximum is about 1 million (1000000)))

Integer is also a data type in a variety of programming languages.

In Visual Basic, the integer data type stores whole numbers, requires 2 bytes of memory, and can store values from -32,768 to 32,767 (215 - 1).

In C, the integer data type is known as int. The length of this type can vary depending on your operating system and compiler. On most UNIX machines, the int data type is 32 bits (4 bytes) long, thus supporting values from 2147483647 (231 - 1) to 2147483648. Additionally, it can have the same values and size as the Visual Basic Integer type.


Thus, you can see that the range of values supported are decided by this formula:

2Number of bits used - 1 - 1

Through

-(2Number of bits used - 1)

In"te*ger (?), n. [L. integer untouched, whole, entire. See Entire.]

A complete entity; a whole number, in contradistinction to a fraction or a mixed number.

Complex integer Theory of Numbers, an expression of the form a + b √ -1, where a and b are real integers.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.