Interphase is that part of the cell cycle which is between cell divisions. Rather than being a resting stage, however, it's just the opposite: This is when most of a cell's metabolic activity occurs. During interphase, the chromosomes inside the cell's nucleus are diffuse, extended strands of DNA, not visible under a microscope. Before going into prophase of mitosis or meiosis, the soon-to-be dividing cell is in interphase. After cytokinesis of mitosis and of the second meiotic division, the daughter cells go into interphase. There can be a brief period of interphase between the first and second divisions of meiosis; this period is sometimes called "interkinesis".

Previous step: Cytokinesis
Next step: Prophase

ALWAYS READ THE SMALL PRINT


Interphase is a computer game written in 1989 by Adrian Stephens* for Image Works/Mirrorsoft, and released in 1990 on the Commodore Amiga and Atari ST. The premise of the game was pure cyberpunk: the hero had jacked his brain into the mainframe computer of his employer (a scary monolithic Big Brother-type organisation) and had to 'hack' into the security systems, while his girlfriend infiltrated the company headquarters out in the real world.

The parts of the system were represented in flat-shaded and wireframe polygons (as well as the innovation of ellipses and circles- and tubes, sort of). The objects on the grid were highly abstract to say the least, and included a Newton's Cradle as well as the iconic unicycling frog. The gameplay involved shooting things in this environment as well as some puzzle solving.

You could also track your GF's position by bringing up a floorplan of the current floor of the building she was on. You could then see where the cameras and other hazards were, and disable them or guide her to a safer route via a 2-way radio. (The insane level of zoom that was available was demonstrated by the quote at the top of this writeup- although I don't think that the game ever required you to comb the map for microfilm-sized comments to allow the game to progress, it was still a cool feature.)

The maths guru Adrian Stephens who penned the game later developed Stunt Island for the PC, and now heads up the game developers Luxoflux (who make various combat racing games).

*Full Credits: programmed by Adrian J Stephens, console by Mark Coleman, 3D shapes designed by Danny Emmett, game design by Dean Lester and Simon Knight.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.