The windowing system for AmigaOS. Intuition controls mouse and keyboard input,
provides gadget, menu and requester primitives, provides multiple, overlapping,
depth-sortable windows, and the facility for multiple displays (possibly with
different display properties) called screens.

Intuition was much more than just the Amiga's windowing system. It was a beautifully designed architecture for developing user interfaces.

Intuition used the Amiga's amazingly sweet message passing kernel "exec" as the basis for its message passing/event oriented needs by extending the basic execsystem with intuition specific messages for events like window open, window close, mouse move etc.

Intuition was largely designed by R. J. Mical whose previous claim to fame was the righteously great arcade game Sinistar. His great sense of humor pervades the design with API calls like GimmeZeroZero() etc.

Writing code for Intuition was a dream. Everything made sense and was well documented in the Amiga's Rom Kernel Manual or RKM.

Ah, for the good old days :)

In`tu*i"tion (?), n. [L. intuitus, p. p. of intueri to look on; in- in, on + tueri: cf. F. intuition. See Tuition.]

1.

A looking after; a regard to.

[Obs.]

What, no reflection on a reward! He might have an intuition at it, as the encouragement, though not the cause, of his pains. Fuller.

2.

Direct apprehension or cognition; immediate knowledge, as in perception or consciousness; -- distinguished from "mediate" knowledge, as in reasoning; as, the mind knows by intuition that black is not white, that a circle is not a square, that three are more than two, etc.; quick or ready insight or apprehension.

Sagacity and a nameless something more, -- let us call it intuition. Hawthorne.

3.

Any object or truth discerned by direct cognition; especially, a first or primary truth.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.