A line from the incredible song known as Komm Süsser Tod. The meaning of this particular line runs quite deep:

It reminds us that everything we touch, see, taste, feel, love, or hate will eventually -- one way or the other -- fade away and turn to dust, nothingness.

This can be interpreted on a grand scale; such as our sun, Sol. It, too, will eventually fade to nothing, leaving a dead, black, core. The Earth will have since long been destroyed, along with everything on it. Humanity, and all it has accomplished, will die. Perhaps even the galaxy, universe, or reality of any form will cease to exist.

On a smaller scale, it represents everything we do. Batteries run dry, natural resources are being used up, human beings die, projects which we have started will crumble and become obsolete. Thoughts expire, buildings and records are destroyed.

Thus, it will all return to nothing. A void.

See also /dev/null.

If you follow Neon Genesis Evangelion in which this line is featured frequently, then you will see the truth, that in the end it all very much does not return to nothing.

Close to the end of the last movie Yui Ikari is explaining it to her son Shinji Ikari. She says:

"Humans can only live on this planet.
But Eva can live beyond,
with the human mind dwelling within.
Even in five billion years from now...
When the Earth...
Moon...
And even Sun are gone, it will remain.
If at least one person can continue to live...
Even so very lonely...
If one is able to live on..."

Then the proof that humanity existed remains eternally

Yui chooses to remain within Evangelion Unit 01, knowing forever more that not everything returns to nothing after all.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.