A structure that is built in order to extend the banks of a stream or intracoastal river beyond the coastline. This is done to direct the direct the flow of a stream or tide and keep sediments moving so they are not deposited and fill in the channnel. It also serves as protection from large waves that might prevent boats from travelling inland along the stream.

Jetties are built in parallel pairs along both banks of the channel. Because they are perpendicular to the coast they tend to interrupt longshore drift and thus widen beaches.

Jet"ty (?), a.

Made of jet, or like jet in color.

The people . . . are of a jetty. Sir T. Browne.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jet"ty, n.; pl. Jetties (#). [F.jet'ee a pier, a jetty, a causeway. See Jet a shooting forth, and cf. Jutty.]

1. Arch.

A part of a building that jets or projects beyond the rest, and overhangs the wall below.

2.

A wharf or pier extending from the shore.

3. Hydraul. Engin.

A structure of wood or stone extended into the sea to influence the current or tide, or to protect a harbor; a mole; as, the Eads system of jetties at the mouth of the Mississippi River.

Jetty ad Naut., a projecting part at the end of a wharf; the front of a wharf whose side forms one of the cheeks of a dock.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jet"ty, v. i.

To jut out; to project.

[Obs.]

Florio.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.