A black gemstone which is actually fossilized wood -- not quite the same thing as coal, but it will give off a smell similar to burning coal in extreme heat. The most significant source is England but it is also found in many other areas. Jet was very popular during the Victorian era as mourning jewelry (and less popular in Western cultures in the 20th century because it continues to be associated with death and sorrow by the superstitious). Native American and Asian cultures don't have this association and it is more commonly used there. Though jet polishes up quite well to a high shine, if not cared for it can dry up and split.

An aircraft utilising one or more jet engines.

Also a gladiator from the UK version of the game show were normal people battle steriod pumped and scantily clad musclemen and women.

REAL NAME: DIANE YOUDALE MAYHEW
BIRTHPLACE: Billingham, Cleveland, England
HEIGHT: 1.67m
WEIGHT: 58kg

She is also rather tasty, considering most gladiator's aren't. Was also the Games Mistress- a rubber clad computer gaming tipster on Sky One's Gamesworld, a show aired in the mid-90s. See also Channel 4's GamesMaster.

For more details see http://www.gladiatorszone.fsnet.co.uk/uk/female/jet.htm - although their evil copyright notice stops me copying the content here.

Weekly African American news and culture magazine sold in over 40 countries. Jet is small in size but is a regular Who's Who of everything in Black American culture from entertainment and politics to Black History and the oh so popular "Beauty of the Week." Johnson Publishing company modeled Jet after Life magazine in the 1950s. Jet was on every Black person's coffee table when I was growing up and has a current distribution of about a million copies.

An acronym for Joint European Torus the main European fusion experiment. It aims to try to reach the conditions at which the energy produced by deuterium-tritium fusion is greater than the energy required to maintain the extreme temperatures and pressures required for fusion. It is built around the tokamak design that has become the standard for fusion experiments: the plasma is held and compressed in a torus shape by strong magnetic fields. To date it has reached 65% of the theoretical efficiency required to break even, making it the most sucessful experiment so far. It will eventually be superceded by ITER, when the funding for it is secured.

Jet (?), n.

Same as 2d Get.

[Obs.]

Chaucer.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jet, n. [OF. jet, jayet, F. jaiet, jais, L. gagates, fr. Gr. ; -- so called from or , a town and river in Lycia.] [written also jeat, jayet.] Min.

A variety of lignite, of a very compact texture and velvet black color, susceptible of a good polish, and often wrought into mourning jewelry, toys, buttons, etc. Formerly called also black amber.

Jet ant Zool., a blackish European ant (Formica fuliginosa), which builds its nest of a paperlike material in the trunks of trees.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jet, n. [F. jet, OF. get, giet, L. jactus a throwing, a throw, fr. jacere to throw. Cf. Abject, Ejaculate, Gist, Jess, Jut.]

1.

A shooting forth; a spouting; a spurt; a sudden rush or gush, as of water from a pipe, or of flame from an orifice; also, that which issues in a jet.

2.

Drift; scope; range, as of an argument.

[Obs.]

3.

The sprue of a type, which is broken from it when the type is cold.

Knight.

Jet propeller Naut., a device for propelling vessels by means of a forcible jet of water ejected from the vessel, as by a centrifugal pump. -- Jet pump, a device in which a small jet of steam, air, water, or other fluid, in rapid motion, lifts or otherwise moves, by its impulse, a larger quantity of the fluid with which it mingles.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jet, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Jetted (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Jetting.] [F. jeter, L. jactare, freq. fr. jacere to throw. See 3d Jet, and cf. Jut.]

1.

To strut; to walk with a lofty or haughty gait; to be insolent; to obtrude.

[Obs.]

he jets under his advanced plumes! Shak.

To jet upon a prince's right. Shak.

2.

To jerk; to jolt; to be shaken.

[Obs.]

Wiseman.

3.

To shoot forward or out; to project; to jut out.

 

© Webster 1913.


Jet, v. t.

To spout; to emit in a stream or jet.

A dozen angry models jetted steam. Tennyson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.