This pretty, clustered flower when given, can mean, according to the Victorian Language of Flowers,‘I desire a return of affection', ‘affection returned', or simply ‘desire’ or ‘love me’ but can also mean ‘sympathy’.

Belonging to the family Amarllidaceae, jonquil are often called daffodils but that's because they are sister flowers as the 'narcissus' suggests in its scientific/botanical name being Narcissus Jonquilla or Narcissus tazetta.

Jonquil thrive in well-drained soil and are partial to full sun. They bloom in mid-spring to early summer. And the general rule when planting is the larger the bud the larger the jonquil.

It has a cup/tube shaped central petal, surrounded by 6 petals, it has sword like narrow leaves and its stalk can grow up to +-50 cm long with a cluster of 3-6 blossoms on it.

The scent of this flower will induce a headache if within an small vicinity. Hence the Greeks and the Egyptians related it to death I suppose.
In Medieval Europe it was an omen of death if it drooped when you looked at it.
The Arabians interestingly took it to be an aphrodisiac.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/1998/archives/26/in_the_garden/flowering_plants_and_shrubs/jonquils

Jon"quil, Jon"quille, n. [F. jonquille, fr. L. juncus a rush, because it has rushlike leaves.] Bot.

A bulbous plant of the genus Narcissus (N. Jonquilla), allied to the daffodil. It has long, rushlike leaves, and yellow or white fragrant flowers. The root has emetic properties. It is sometimes called the rush-leaved daffodil. See Illust. of Corona.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.