Lecso is a Hungarian dish perfect for vegetarians or meateaters alike. Lecso can also (if the vegetables are finely sliced) be served as a pre-dinner relish/salad cold, majority of Hungarians however prefer it warm/hot and stew like.

The primary ingredients are not difficult to locate, they are in your local grocers vegetable section.

Ingredients are:  (for a large pot)

  • 6 vine ripe tomatoes quartered
  • 4 large bell peppers julienne cut (yellow and red peppers can also be used)
  • 3 medium size onions julienne cut
  • 4 cloves of garlic cut either way
  • 1 unit of canned tomatoes
  • 1 tablespoon of paprika
  • salt across the top lightly

At this point the pot should be filled to the brim with a little bit of the juice covering the bottom so things don't burn, IF the canned tomatoes are not very juicy add a little bit of water to the bottom. The vegetables will collapse at least half way into the pot.

Cook the vegetables until soft and stewy looking. If you add tarhonya it will look thick.

 

Optional items to include, that of course make it better! Either one or both are good additions

  • tarhonya: which is to be added when the vegetables are 3/4 of the way softened, but do not allow it to overcook
  • sausage (Polish, smoked) cut into 1/3 inch slices and added during the cooking of the vegetables

 

Recommend serving with fresh Hungarian bread or Italian bread (thick crust).  This recipe will make approximately 6 servings.




This recipe is my own version of lecso, from years of cooking various recipes this is the best way I've found it to be "perfect" and it's always complimented and smells delicious!

This is a photo of what lecso should look like

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.