medroxyprogesterone acetate (MPA): the generic name of Depo-Provera. It has many of the physiological properties of progesterone, and so is known as a synthetic progestin, although in chemical structure it is actually an androgen, like testosterone, which is closely related to progesterone. Therapeutically, MPA has varied uses: to suppress ovulation (in the birth control pill); to prevent spermatogenesis (as a male contraceptive); and as an antiandrogen to suppress androgen release and sexuoeroticism, reversibly, in male sex offenders. 2. A pharmaceutical hormonal product marketed under the name of Provera or Depo-Provera.® It has many of the physiological properties of progesterone, and so is known as a synthetic progestin, though in chemical structure it is actually an androgen, like testosterone, which is closely related to progesterone. Therapeutically, medroxyprogesterone acetate has varied uses: to suppress ovulation (in the birth-control injection or pill); to prevent spermatogenesis (as a male contraceptive); and as an antiandrogen to suppress androgen release and libido, reversibly, in male sex offenders (chemical castration). See also Androcur; cyproterone.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.