Dictionary of Sexology


Compiled by: G. F. Pranzarone, Ph.D., AASECT:CSE
Department of Psychology
Roanoke College
Salem, Virginia 24153
pranzaro@roanoke.edu

The following entries represent the initial version (v. 1.0) of an online dictionary of terms for phenomena in sexuality, gender, and reproduction. Most all of these terms appear in scientific and academic reference sources in the areas of psychology, medicine, genetics, sociology, anthropology and biology. Many of these terms were coined by and first used in the writings of sexologist and psychoendocrinologist Dr. John Money, Professor emeritus in Medical Pediatrics of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Medical School and now head of the Johns Hopkins University Psychohormonal Research Unit. Consequently, the foundation of the present sexological glossary/dictionary is taken from the extensive glossaries contained in the following books by John Money:
  • John Money (1986). Lovemaps: Clinical Concepts of Sexual/Erotic Health and Pathology, Paraphilia, and Gender Transposition of Childhood, Adolescence, and Maturity. Irvington Publishers; ISBN: 0829015892.
  • John Money and Margaret Lamacz (Contributor) (1989). Vandalized Lovemaps: Paraphilic Outcome of Seven Cases in Pediatric Sexology. Prometheus Books; ISBN: 087975513X.
  • John Money (1990). Gay, Straight, and In-Between: The Sexology of Exotic Orientation. Oxford University Press (Trade); ISBN: 0195063317.

This glossary/dictionary follows the conventions established by the exigency/lovemap theory formulated by John Money as expressed in his writings. See also the online John Money Bibliography in Sexology.

These words form the basis for a developing standardized language for communication within the emerging interdisciplinary science of sexology. The empirically based (describing what is) science of sexology is different from the less than objective perspective of sexosophy (hoping to find what should be the case based on a philosophical or religious position). See definitions in the glossary below.


That is the original introduction to the Dictionary of Sexology, as compiled by G. F. Pranzarone, Ph.D., AASECT:CSE. E-Mailed the author about it, and he emailed back. He checked out the site, and thinks it is a wonderful medium for the dictionary. The crosslinking would help with lookups and the like.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.