A network loop, as the 3Com home connect dual speed hub manual constantly reminds me, is a network configuration where there is more than one path between two computers or devices, which causes packets to be constantly repeated. This is due to the fact that a hub will blindly transmit everything it receives to all connections - other devices, such as switches and routers, might be able to reduce or eliminate this problem.

In theory, this should be possible to create with only 2 hubs: For each hub, connect one end of a regular cat 5 cable in the uplink port and the other end in any other port of the other hub. (You could also use crossover cable between two non-uplink ports). Then connect at least one computer to each hub, and you have a network loop.

Looping back a cable to an ethernet hub will simply cause the ports in question to be disabled. I've never seen one that didn't do that. krogoth is thinking of a routing loop, and cannot be caused by hubs, only routers or possibly switchs. How this might happen is if some routing tables get screwed up so router a thinks the next hop is router b, which thinks the next hop is router a which thinks the next hop is router a, and so on, untill the time to live is decremented to zero.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.