A character in 'The Matrix'. Crew member on the Nebuchadnezzar. Does almost as little as Apoc during the film, but does manage to get out the (in my mind) classic line "Listen up, coppertop!". She wears white while every other character wears black. This puzzles me.

Type of debit card used in the UK allowing the use of EFTPOS systems and accepted in most places in the country.

In network terminology, a switch is a network device that acts at the data link layer. On ethernet, a switch has several ports which can be connected to other switches, repeaters, routers, or hosts. When a switch receives a frame on a port, it forwards the frame out another port based on the MAC address. This segments the ethernet and relieves network congestion, compared to a repeater which would forward the frame out all ports.

Electrically speaking, a switch is an electrical or mechanical device that causes the opening or closing of a circuit, or a portion of a circuit.

See also relay, transistor, short circuit, closed circuit, open circuit, transient circuit analysis, steady state.

A switch is a term for a person involved in BDSM who isn't confined to a certain role. Depending on the situation/mood, a switch will either take on the Dominant or submissive role.

This is a add-on to Agthorr's writeup:

A switch is very similar, in use, to a hub, and one can be substituted for the other. A hub is sort of the center of an ethernet LAN. All PCs, servers, network printers, etc, connect to the hub, and from the hub to everything else. In layman’s terms, when a pc sends information to another pc, the signal goes to everything that is attached to the hub. A switch, on the other hand, can better determine where the signal is meant to go, and only sends it there, greatly cutting down the traffic on the network. Sort of streamlining the process. This is a good thing. Unfortunately, switches are much more expensive than hubs. That is a bad thing.
Rather complicated skateboarding term. Switch is used in several contexts, it basically means riding the opposite (or the switch) way to which you normally ride.

ex. If you are regular your left foot is your lead foot. Therefore if you switch to your right foot leading you are riding switch. Viceversa for goofy footers.

In some cases it is not called switch, but fakie. This is how and when the terms are used:
1. If you are riding in your normal stance and you do a 180/540/900 you come out riding switch.
2. If you begin a run (by pushing off) in the opposite stance to your regular stance you are riding fakie.
3. If you are riding switch or fakie and you grind you are doing a switch grind.
4. If you are riding switch or fakie and you go off a jump you are doing a switch trick.
5. If you are riding switch or fakie and you do a 360/720/1080 you come out riding switch.
6. If you begin grinding up a rail in your normal stance - for this example doing a nosegrind - and start coming back down you are doing a fakie 5'0.

Fakie is usually worth more points than switch in a competition, though fakie is a far less common move.

Switch (?), n. [Cf. OD. swick a scourage, a whip. Cf. Swink, Swing.]

1.

A small, flexible twig or rod.

Mauritania, on the fifth medal, leads a horse with something like a thread; in her other hand she holds a switch.
Addison.

2. (Railways)

A movable part of a rail; or of opposite rails, for transferring cars from one track to another.

3.

A separate mass or trees of hair, or of some substance (at jute) made to resemble hair, worn on the head by women.

4. (Elec.)

A mechanical device for shifting an electric current to another circuit.

Safety switch (Railways), a form of switch contrived to prevent or lessen the danger of derailment of trains. --
Switch back (Railways), an arrangement of tracks whereby elevations otherwise insurmountable are passed. The track ascends by a series of zigzags, the engine running alternately forward and back, until the summit is reached. --
Switch board (Elec.), a collection of switches in one piece of apparatus, so arranged that a number of circuits may be connected or combined in any desired manner. --
Switch grass. (Bot.) See under Grass.

 

© Webster 1913


Switch, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Switched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Switching.]

1.

To strike with a switch or small flexible rod; to whip. Chapman.

2.

To swing or whisk; as, to switch a cane.

3.

To trim, as, a hedge. [Prov. Eng.] Halliwell.

4.

To turn from one railway track to another; to transfer by a switch; -- generally with off, from, etc.; as, to switch off a train; to switch a car from one track to another.

5. (Eccl.)

To shift to another circuit.

 

© Webster 1913


Switch, v. i.

To walk with a jerk. [Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913


Switch (?), n. (Elec.)

A device for shifting an electric current to another circuit, or for making and breaking a circuit.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.