Conviction and subsequent imprisonment on trumped-up charges, or as a result of any improper -even if legal- procedure. "Every right fall (just arrest) I ever got, I been beefing (crying) frame-up. Now I really got a bum rap (unjust arrest) and nobody gives my sucker's holler (cries of innocence) a rumble (bit of attention)."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

A frame is a chunk of data dealt with by the data link layer of the OSI Reference Model. For example: an ethernet frame or a PPP frame. The format of a frame is usually chosen based on the requirements of the physical layer.

The word "frame" is often incorrectly applied to a packet.

A literary term for a narrative structure where the author claims to have obtained the story from another source. Frame stories often have the author finding rare manuscripts or recounting strange stories from wayward places. Through suspension of disbelief the reader approaches the plot in a more trusting way than if simply presented without explanation. Various examples of this technique are The Name of The Rose, Dinotopia, The Scarlet Letter, and The Mysteries of Harris Burdick.

An individual picture in a motion picture, or video. When projected in quick succession, they give rise to the illusion of continuous motion. Frame rates: Film
  • US and Japan 24fps
  • Other 25fps
Video Note: In video, each frame consists of two interlaced fields.
A HTML construct, invented by Netscape to allow a HTML page to be split into frames (window panes) that can be filled with content separately.

Frames are specified in the 'container' page, which is a HTML page that employs two special HTML tags: <FRAMESET> to specify the number of frames and conditions on their placement, and <FRAME> to specify the name of each frame and the URL of the document initially to be placed within it. Other HTML elements that allow URL attributes, such as <A;> now have optional TARGET attributes to specify the placement of the URL content within a specific frame.


There are fundamental problems with this design.

First, there is no way to address a given collection of frames with a URL. All you can address is the URL of HTML documents with framesets, and these framesets only list the initial content of the frameset. As soon as the content of a frame is replaced with the content of a given URL, the resulting combination is no longer addressable.

Second, there is no way to address an individual frame as a frame with a URL. There is no way to indicate within a URL whether or not a document is used as a frame within a frameset. It is not even possible to indicate this within the content of the document. But this information is very important for the page composer: the content of a document usually depends highly on whether or not it is being used as a frame within another document, and if so, which frame.

As a result of the second problem, there is no way to address frames in a safe way. In order to specify a link that is supposed to replace, say, the left menu frame, you have to specify its frame name as the link's TARGET attribute; but the correctness of the TARGET value depends on the frame names as specified in the frameset document, and the document containing the link has no way of knowing what that frameset is, or whether it is part of a frameset at all.

Given the intended functionality (being able to replace the contents of frames within a page rather than the whole page) and the design constraints (HTML must work from a passive medium, such as a flat filesystem, and make no assumptions on constraints that such media place on the form of URLs, such as a 8.3 filename limitation) the chosen implementation with FRAME and FRAMESET is reasonable. But the resulting limitations are a pain for authors.


There are three ways to overcome these limitations:
  • use Javascript, which can analyse the frame structure at page viewing time
  • use home-made conventions for URL use by which individual frames can be addressed as the part of the frameset they are, and by which arbitrary combinations of frames can be addressed as well, and implement them in the authoring tools or process
  • generate all HTML, including frames, from original document source that is specified in a different format, probably databased, in which no such limitations exist
The latter is a cure-all to most of the problems with HTML, proving that HTML really isn't suitable as a document specification language, and is best thought of as a device independent rendering specification for rendering engines, a characterization it shares with PostScript.

In videotex systems, the frame is the unit of displayed information. Equivalent to the page in hypertext systems. The frame format varied with the transmission medium but generally consisted of a banner line, 23 or 24 lines of content and a status line.


Under HTML, the <frame> tag is used to define part of a page. The content of each frame on a page comes from a different HTTP connection and can come from an entirely different server. Frames are a powerful - and, thus, often abused - facility.

In film and video, the frame is the screen. Film-makers talk about creating the frame, which is the process of deciding where everything in the shot will go on the screen. For example, if there is a person looking left in the frame, then they should be on the right hand side of the frame - looking into the frame. (Of course, there are always exceptions to this rule - in this case, if the person who we are talking about has turned their back on another character, then they would be on the left hand side of the frame - looking out of the frame)

Another 'rule' about framing a shot is the rule of thirds. If you imagine the screen (I am thinking of a 1:1.333 ratio screen here - like a non-widescreen TV) split into thirds vertically, and thirds horizontally, a person's eyes should be on one of the horizontal thirds. If there is one person in the frame, then the framing is more comfortable if they are on one of the horizontal thirds too. Again, as before, this is not a hard and fast rule, and is regularly broken, but it is certainly something to keep in mind when first starting out making films or videos (although you'll find it comes naturally, without thinking about it, after a while)

----------------------------------

NYCadAdept: I believe that film runs at 24 fps all over the world - it certainly does over here in UK (otherwise they would have to make completely new film stock for outside US and Japan)

Frame (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Framed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Framing.] [OE. framen, fremen, to execute, build, AS. fremman to further, perform, effect, fr. fram strong, valiant; akin to E. foremost, and prob. to AS. fram from, Icel. fremja, frama, to further, framr forward, G. fromm worthy, excellent, pious. See Foremost, From, and cf. Furnish.]

1. (Arch. & Engin.)

To construct by fitting and uniting the several parts of the skeleton of any structure; specifically, in woodwork, to put together by cutting parts of one member to fit parts of another. See Dovetail, Halve, v. t., Miter, Tenon, Tooth, Tusk, Scarf, and Splice.

2.

To originate; to plan; to devise; to contrive; to compose; in a bad sense, to invent or fabricate, as something false.

How many excellent reasonings are framed in the mind of a man of wisdom and study in a length of years.
I. Watts.

3.

To fit to something else, or for some specific end; to adjust; to regulate; to shape; to conform.

And frame my face to all occasions.
Shak.

We may in some measure frame our minds for the reception of happiness.
Landor.

The human mind is framed to be influenced.
I. Taylor.

4.

To cause; to bring about; to produce. [Obs.]

Fear frames disorder, and disorder wounds.
Shak.

5.

To support. [Obs. & R.]

That on a staff his feeble steps did frame.
Spenser.

6.

To provide with a frame, as a picture.

 

© Webster 1913


Frame, v. i.

1.

To shape; to arrange, as the organs of speech. [Obs.] Judg. xii. 6.

2.

To proceed; to go. [Obs.]

The bauty of this sinful dame
Made many princes thither frame.
Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Frame, n.

1.

Anything composed of parts fitted and united together; a fabric; a structure; esp., the constructional system, whether of timber or metal, that gives to a building, vessel, etc., its model and strength; the skeleton of a structure.

These are thy glorious works, Parent of good,
Almighty! thine this universal frame.
Milton.

2.

The bodily structure; physical constitution; make or build of a person.

Some bloody passion shakes your very frame.
Shak.

No frames could be strong enough to endure it.
Prescott.

3.

A kind of open case or structure made for admitting, inclosing, or supporting things, as that which incloses or contains a window, door, picture, etc.; that on which anything is held or stretched; as:

(a)

The skeleton structure which supports the boiler and machinery of a locomotive upon its wheels.

(b) (Founding)

A molding box or flask, which being filled with sand serves as a mold for castings.

(c)

The ribs and stretchers of an umbrella or other structure with a fabric covering.

(d)

A structure of four bars, adjustable in size, on which cloth, etc., is stretched for quilting, embroidery, etc.

(e) (Hort.)

A glazed portable structure for protecting young plants from frost.

(f) (Print.)

A stand to support the type cases for use by the compositor.

4. (Mach.)

A term applied, especially in England, to certain machines built upon or within framework; as, a stocking frame; lace frame; spinning frame, etc.

5.

Form; shape; proportion; scheme; structure; constitution; system; as, a frameof government.

She that hath a heart of that fine frame
To pay this debt of love but to a brother.
Shak.

Put your discourse into some frame.
Shak.

6.

Particular state or disposition, as of the mind; humor; temper; mood; as, to be always in a happy frame.

7.

Contrivance; the act of devising or scheming. [Obs.]

John the bastard
Whose spirits toil in frame of villainies.
Shak.

Balloon frame, Cant frames, etc. See under Balloon, Cant, etc. --
Frame building or house, a building of which the form and support is made of framed timbers. [U.S.] --
Frame level, a mason's level. --
Frame saw, a thin saw stretched in a frame to give it rigidity.

 

© Webster 1913


Frame, n.

In games:

(a) In pool, the triangular form used in setting up the balls; also, the balls as set up, or the round of playing required to pocket them all; as, to play six frames in a game of 50 points.

(b) In bowling, as in tenpins, one of the several innings forming a game.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.