or

To which side does sir drive?




Four interconnected terms, at least half of which a vehicle owner, operator, or mechanic will be accustomed to depending upon if they are from across the pond or not. To make much ado about nothing, honestly, offside (O/S) refers to the side of the vehicle which is furthest from the kerb when driving on a UK road. This is, therefore, the driver’s side of the vehicle when driving a right-hand drive vehicle correctly in the UK.

Conversely, nearside (N/S) refers to the side of the vehicle which is closest to the kerb (curbside), thus making it the passenger’s side of the vehicle when driving a right-hand drive vehicle on a road in the UK, if one stays in their lane.

Keeping all this in mind, O/S/F, O/S/R, N/S/F, and N/S/R refer, respectively, to the driver's side front, driver's side rear, passenger's side front, and passenger's side rear. This eliminates most confusion when referencing the placement of parts or damage to one's vehicle as it doesn't care if one knows their right from their left (dexter and sinister), or if one is looking at the vehicle or out of the vehicle. Driver's side and passenger's side are more accurate, of course, no matter where in the world one is as long as one can locate the steering wheel. Unless one has a center steer vehicle...




Comic aside:This information may also be useful in two other vehicle-related occurrences. The first is in response to the question, Can you tell me where on the car they hurt you? The second is if one is planning to defenestrate another occupant of the vehicle, as it is important to make sure said window is in perfect working condition. One might also need to know that windscreen and windshield are the same difference. As far as this author knows, a rear window is a rear window.

SQ '24

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.