A fence or fortification consisting of a row of stakes or posts sharpened and set firmly in the ground.

In fortification, the posts are set two or three inches apart, parallel to the parapet in the covered way, to prevent a surprise.

Palisades serve also to fortify the avenues of open forts, gorges, the bottom of ditches, etc.

The Palisades (formally, the Hudson Palisades), are a band of cliffs on the western shore of the Hudson River. They are visible from much of the West Side of Manhattan, and a fine view of them may be had from the Cloisters in Fort Tryon Park. For many of New York's West Siders, the barrier they form (and for which they are named) is a basic part of our view west toward the continental United States.

The cliffs are composed of Manhattan schist and were formed at the end of the Triassic period. It is said that John D. Rockefeller, Jr. saved the cliffs from destruction for railroad ballast and turned them over to the state of New Jersey for preservation.

Pal`i*sade" (?), n. [F. palissade, cf. Sp. palizada, It. palizzata, palizzo, LL. palissata; all fr. L. palus a stake, pale. See Pale a stake.]

1. (Fort.)

A strong, long stake, one end of which is set firmly in the ground, and the other is sharpened; also, a fence formed of such stakes set in the ground as a means of defense.


Any fence made of pales or sharp stakes.

Palisade cells (Bot.), vertically elongated parenchyma cells, such as are seen beneath the epidermis of the upper surface of many leaves. --
Palisade worm (Zoöl.), a nematoid worm (Strongylus armatus), parasitic in the blood vessels of the horse, in which it produces aneurisms, often fatal.


© Webster 1913

Pal`i*sade", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Palisaded; p. pr. & vb. n. Palisading.] [Cf. F. palissader.]

To surround, inclose, or fortify, with palisades.


© Webster 1913

Pal`i*sade", n.

A line of bold cliffs, esp. one showing basaltic columns; -- usually in pl., and orig. used as the name of the cliffs on the west bank of the lower Hudson.


© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.