|    

a "pipe" character, or for the hopelessly neurotic, "broken vertical bar". HTML character entities ¦ or ¦

may not be used in node titles, AFAIK.

pink wire = P = pistol

pipe n.

[common] Idiomatically, one's connection to the Internet; in context, the expansion "bit pipe" is understood. A "fat pipe" is a line with T1 or higher capacity. A person with a 28.8 modem might be heard to complain "I need a bigger pipe".

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

A pipe, in reference to the smoking of tobacco (or as Webster says, at times, other substances) consists, in its simplest form, of four basic parts. For the most part, it's all rather self-explanatory.

  • The cup - Contains the material to be smoked. Is open at the top, so as to allow the lit material oxygen.
  • The screen - Holes or perforated separator that distinguishes the cup from the body of the pipe.
  • The body - Transfers smoke from the screen to the mouthpiece. Should be airtight with the exception of the mouthpiece and screen.
  • The mouthpiece - Allows user access to the body of the pipe. This is the source of the suction.

Thousands of varieties of pipes exist, and they're native to dozens of independent civilizations.

If one wishes to make a simple pipe, for instance, for the convenient smoking of marijuana, it's a rather simple matter. I supply below two methods, the former of which is not nearly as nice as the latter, but requires no tape.

Ingredients for makeshift pipe:
One empty soda can (dry, preferably)
One pointy object (thumbtacks work, if you want to put some muscle into it)

Create a dent in the soda can, that will serve as the cup. Poke small holes in it to create a makeshift screen. Make sure there are enough holes to allow lots of air through, but that they are not so large as to allow ashes through. Place smoking material in the dent, light, and suck through the mouth of the can.

For an adaptation of this pipe that is reusable and in all ways preferable to the original, make no dent. Instead, make holes in the bottom of the can (a little more difficult) and tape up the mouth of the can. The bottom of the can is curved such that it can operate as the perfect container for the material to be burned. Then make a pen-sized (or slightly larger) hole in the side of the can, and use that as your mouthpiece. When I did this, I also ran duct tape all the way around my can, so as to make it a little more comfortable to hold (and so that everyone didn't mock my upside-down Diet Cherry Coke can pipe).

I have heard it said that aluminum can be harmful to humans when burned. I don't know at what temperature this begins to occur. As such, the former model for a makeshift pipe may be entirely dangerous and unsuitable for use by anyone, ever. If so, may god have mercy on my soul (and ruined lungs). Just thought you might want to know, before you try something on the word of another.

Pipe, a wine-measure, usually containing two hogsheads of 105 imperial or 126 wine gallons; two pipes or 210 imperial gallons make a tun. The size of the pipe varies according to the kind of wine contained; a pipe of Madeira contains 110 wine gallons; of sherry, 130; of port, nearly 138, and Lisbon, 140.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Pipe (?), n. [AS. pipe, probably fr. L. pipare, pipire, to chirp; of imitative origin. Cf. Peep, Pibroch, Fife.]

1.

A wind instrument of music, consisting of a tube or tubes of straw, reed, wood, or metal; any tube which produces musical sounds; as, a shepherd's pipe; the pipe of an organ.

"Tunable as sylvan pipe."

Milton.

Now had he rather hear the tabor and the pipe. Shak.

2.

Any long tube or hollow body of wood, metal, earthenware, or the like: especially, one used as a conductor of water, steam, gas, etc.

3.

A small bowl with a hollow steam, -- used in smoking tobacco, and, sometimes, other substances.

4.

A passageway for the air in speaking and breathing; the windpipe, or one of its divisions.

5.

The key or sound of the voice.

[R.]

Shak.

6.

The peeping whistle, call, or note of a bird.

The earliest pipe of half-awakened birds. Tennyson.

7. pl.

The bagpipe; as, the pipes of Lucknow.

8. Mining

An elongated body or vein of ore.

9.

A roll formerly used in the English exchequer, otherwise called the Great Roll, on which were taken down the accounts of debts to the king; -- so called because put together like a pipe.

Mozley & W.

10. Naut.

A boatswain's whistle, used to call the crew to their duties; also, the sound of it.

11. [Cf. F. pipe, fr. pipe a wind instrument, a tube, fr. L. pipare to chirp. See Etymol. above.]

A cask usually containing two hogsheads, or 126 wine gallons; also, the quantity which it contains.

Pipe fitter, one who fits pipes together, or applies pipes, as to an engine or a building. -- Pipe fitting, a piece, as a coupling, an elbow, a valve, etc., used for connecting lengths of pipe or as accessory to a pipe. -- Pipe office, an ancient office in the Court of Exchequer, in which the clerk of the pipe made out leases of crown lands, accounts of cheriffs, etc. [Eng.] -- Pipe tree Bot., the lilac and the mock orange; -- so called because their were formerly used to make pipe stems; -- called also pipe privet. -- Pipe wrench, ∨ Pipetongs, a jawed tool for gripping a pipe, in turning or holding it. -- To smoke the pipe of peace, to smoke from the same pipe in token of amity or preparatory to making a treaty of peace, -- a custom of the American Indians.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pipe, v. i.

1.

To play on a pipe, fife, flute, or other tubular wind instrument of music.

We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced. Matt. xi. 17.

2. Naut.

To call, convey orders, etc., by means of signals on a pipe or whistle carried by a boatswain.

3.

To emit or have a shrill sound like that of a pipe; to whistle.

"Oft in the piping shrouds."

Wordsworth.

4. Metal.

To become hollow in the process of solodifying; -- said of an ingot, as of steel.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pipe (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Piped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Piping.]

1.

To perform, as a tune, by playing on a pipe, flute, fife, etc.; to utter in the shrill tone of a pipe.

A robin . . . was piping a few querulous notes. W. Irving.

2. Naut.

To call or direct, as a crew, by the boatswain's whistle.

As fine a ship's company as was ever piped aloft. Marryat.

3.

To furnish or equip with pipes; as, to pipe an engine, or a building.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.