Pro*vide" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Provided; p. pr. & vb. n. Providing.] [L. providere, provisum; pro before + videre to see. See Vision, and cf. Prudent, Purvey.]

1.

To look out for in advance; to procure beforehand; to get, collect, or make ready for future use; to prepare.

"Provide us all things necessary."

Shak.

2.

To supply; to afford; to contribute.

Bring me berries, or such cooling fruit As the kind, hospitable woods provide. Milton.

3.

To furnish; to supply; -- formerly followed by of, now by with.

"And yet provided him of but one." Jer. Taylor. "Rome . . . was well provided with corn." Arbuthnot.

4.

To establish as a previous condition; to stipulate; as, the contract provides that the work be well done.

5.

To foresee.

[A Latinism] [Obs.]

B. Jonson.

6.

To appoint to an ecclesiastical benefice before it is vacant. See Provisor.

Prescott.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pro*vide", v. i.

1.

To procure supplies or means in advance; to take measures beforehand in view of an expected or a possible future need, especially a danger or an evil; -- followed by against or for; as, to provide against the inclemency of the weather; to provide for the education of a child.

Government is a contrivance of human wisdom to provide for human wants. Burke.

2.

To stipulate previously; to condition; as, the agreement provides for an early completion of the work.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.