I've quit

again
stop start

stop
quit

I don't think I'll go back
it wastes the days
makes me so sick
takes so little for me to overdo

I resent lost time
and suffering

my body doesn't want it
and tells me so
ferociously

alcohol you say?

that too

but I was talking about men

Quit (?), n. Zool.

Any one of numerous species of small passerine birds native of tropical America. See Banana quit, under Banana, and Guitguit.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quit (?), a. [OE. quite, OF. quite, F. quitte. See Quit, v., Quirt.]

Released from obligation, charge, penalty, etc.; free; clear; absolved; acquitted.

Chaucer.

The owner of the ox shall be quit. Ex. xxi. 28.

⇒ This word is sometimes used in the form quits, colloquially; as, to be quits with one, that is, to have made mutual satisfaction of demands with him; to be even with him; hence, as an exclamation: Quits! we are even, or on equal terms. "To cry quits with the commons in their complaints."

Fuller.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quit, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Quit or Quitted; p. pr. & vb. n. Quitting.] [OE. quiten, OF. quiter, quitier, cuitier, F. quitter, to acquit, quit, LL. quietare, fr. L. quietare to calm, to quiet, fr. quietus quiet. See Quiet, a., and cf. Quit, a., Quite, Acquit, Requite.]

1.

To set at rest; to free, as from anything harmful or oppressive; to relieve; to clear; to liberate.

[R.]

To quit you of this fear, you have already looked Death in the face; what have you found so terrible in it? Wake.

2.

To release from obligation, accusation, penalty, or the like; to absolve; to acquit.

There may no gold them quyte. Chaucer.

God will relent, and quit thee all his debt. Milton.

3.

To discharge, as an obligation or duty; to meet and satisfy, as a claim or debt; to make payment for or of; to requite; to repay.

The blissful martyr quyte you your meed. Chaucer.

Enkindle all the sparks of nature To quit this horrid act. Shak.

Before that judge that quits each soul his hire. Fairfax.

4.

To meet the claims upon, or expectations entertained of; to conduct; to acquit; -- used reflexively.

Be strong, and quit yourselves like men. I Sam. iv. 9.

Samson hath guit himself Like Samson. Milton.

5.

To carry through; to go through to the end.

[Obs.]

Never worthy prince a day did quit With greater hazard and with more renown. Daniel.

6.

To have done with; to cease from; to stop; hence, to depart from; to leave; to forsake; as, to quit work; to quit the place; to quit jesting.

Such a superficial way of examining is to quit truth for appearance. Locke.

To quit cost, to pay; to reimburse. -- To quit scores, to make even; to clear mutually from demands.

Does not the earth quit scores with all the elements in the noble fruits that issue from it? South.

Syn. -- To leave; relinquish; resign; abandon; forsake; surrender; discharge; requite. -- Quit, Leave. Leave is a general term, signifying merely an act of departure; quit implies a going without intention of return, a final and absolute abandonment.

 

© Webster 1913.


Quit, v. i.

To away; to depart; to stop doing a thing; to cease.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.