A payment made to an artist in return for performing his work. For example, music royalties on a gold record typically amount to about $60,000 to the artist.

Disney Studios often used public domain works like Snow White in the early days to avoid paying royalties. The animated film Fantasia included music by Stravinsky, who was alive at the time and was not paid royalties. The concept behind the current MP3 controversy.

Roy"al*ty (?), n.; pl. Royalties (#). [OF. roialt'e, royault'e, F. royaut'e. See Royal, and cf. Regality.]

1.

The state of being royal; the condition or quality of a royal person; kingship; kingly office; sovereignty.

Royalty by birth was the sweetest way of majesty. Holyday.

2.

The person of a king or sovereign; majesty; as, in the presence of royalty.

For thus his royalty doth speak. Shak.

3.

An emblem of royalty; -- usually in the plural, meaning regalia.

[Obs.]

Wherefore do I assume These royalties, and not refuse to reign? Milton.

4.

Kingliness; spirit of regal authority.

In his royalty of nature Reigns that which would be fear'd. Shak.

5.

Domain; province; sphere.

Sir W. Scott.

6.

That which is due to a sovereign, as a seigniorage on gold and silver coined at the mint, metals taken from mines, etc.; the tax exacted in lieu of such share; imperiality.

7.

A share of the product or profit (as of a mine, forest, etc.), reserved by the owner for permitting another to use the property.

8.

Hence Com., a duty paid by a manufacturer to the owner of a patent or a copyright at a certain rate for each article manufactured; or, a percentage paid to the owner of an article by one who hires the use of it.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.