Stir (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Stirred (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Stirring.] [OE. stiren, steren, sturen, AS. styrian; probably akin to D. storen to disturb, G. storen, OHG. storen to scatter, destroy. 166.]

1.

To change the place of in any manner; to move.

My foot I had never yet in five days been able to stir. Sir W. Temple.

2.

To disturb the relative position of the particles of, as of a liquid, by passing something through it; to agitate; as, to stir a pudding with a spoon.

My mind is troubled, like a fountain stirred. Shak.

3.

To bring into debate; to agitate; to moot.

Stir not questions of jurisdiction. Bacon.

4.

To incite to action; to arouse; to instigate; to prompt; to excite.

"To stir men to devotion."

Chaucer.

An Ate, stirring him to blood and strife. Shak.

And for her sake some mutiny will stir. Dryden.

⇒ In all senses except the first, stir is often followed by up with an intensive effect; as, to stir up fire; to stir up sedition.

Syn. -- To move; incite; awaken; rouse; animate; stimulate; excite; provoke.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stir, v. i.

1.

To move; to change one's position.

I had not power to stir or strive, But felt that I was still alive. Byron.

2.

To be in motion; to be active or bustling; to exert or busy one's self.

All are not fit with them to stir and toil. Byron.

The friends of the unfortunate exile, far from resenting his unjust suspicions, were stirring anxiously in his behalf. Merivale.

3.

To become the object of notice; to be on foot.

They fancy they have a right to talk freely upon everything that stirs or appears. I. Watts.

4.

To rise, or be up, in the morning.

[Colloq.]

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Stir, n.

1.

The act or result of stirring; agitation; tumult; bustle; noise or various movements.

Why all these words, this clamor, and this stir? Denham.

Consider, after so much stir about genus and species, how few words we have yet settled definitions of. Locke.

2.

Public disturbance or commotion; tumultuous disorder; seditious uproar.

Being advertised of some stirs raised by his unnatural sons in England. Sir J. Davies.

3.

Agitation of thoughts; conflicting passions.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.